classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Imp 50th Anniversary - Linwood, Scotland - 02.05.13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Hillman Imp 50th Anniversary - Linwood, Scotland - 02.05.13 Reply with quote

My Curator and myself were invited to attend the Hillman Imp 50th Anniversary celebrations at the only remaining original part of the old Linwood factory, the Main Office Block.
It was an Imp spotters mecca, with all of the versions manufactured in attendance, many having travelled up from southern England as well as all over Scotland.

Some of the companies other types of vehicles were evident, one being a particularly nice Avenger Tiger.

47p2

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's uncle bought one of the first Imps that came off the line at Linwood in 1963, it was black with red interior. In 1978 he said to me that it wasn't running well and he thought it was time to get rid. It had 24,000 miles on the clock and the bodywork was immaculate. I told him I would have a look at it and that evening I took it out for a spin, it was running like a bag of nails bellowing out clouds of smoke when accelerating hard, all due to the fact that most of its journeys were less than a mile so the poor car never got warmed up.
So the next day I changed the oil, filters, plugs, points and condenser and took it for an Italian tune up. Over the next few days I managed to clock up 250 miles and the car never faltered once. When I took it back he could not believe it was the same engine and he kept the car until he could no longer drive many years later.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than working Bob - got to be some perks,cheers,JD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: