classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Another Minx question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ra.stewart

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Another Minx question Reply with quote

My Minx has 2 different length wiper arms, can anyone tell me which is left and which is right? Car is LHD and I can't seem to figure out which goes where, or if they are even correct.

Any help appreciated, Thanks!
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure but I would think the shorter arm would be to stop the blade from running off screen.
See if one of the arms lets the blade overlap the side of the screen.

Would think the near side, right hand side in USA, would be the side for the shorter arm.

I have put your dash pad question up on a club forum, a few Minxes on there, I'll pose this one as well.
ra.stewart

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! I've tried the arms on either side, but I'm not 100% sure they are even correct, plus it has 2 different size blades on it as well. Car had some questionable parts on it, wrong carb, etc. so anything may have been used in a pinch over the years. Not many Minx here to compare to (make that none, this is only the second one I have ever seen) and the parts listings are all over the map as to even what size blades it uses.
What is the other club forum? I've done a few searches and this is the only one I have found that recognizes any Rootes stuff except Alpines and Tigers.

Again, Thanks!
andycars

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year & model is the minx?
ra.stewart

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to add that! 66 Minx, 1725CC so I believe it is a VI, sold here in the US as a Sunbeam.
Inglewood

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

Hi RA Stewart,

Photo shows a '66 UK Minx Series VI, with original UK RHD wiper set-up.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The position of the spindles suggests that LH drive will;-
either, have the same type of blade and arm combination but with an opposite direction crank on the arm and the park position on the left instead of the right, or it just uses a wrong side set up which would be exactly the same as the UK set up.

Because of where the spindles are, this type will not clear to the top of the drivers side of the windscreen anyway unlike modern cars with offset wipers when they wipe to vertical at the drivers side.
see

for the older type imagine a pair of overlapping semi circles instead of what is above.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: