classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Series 1 Morris Eight suspension - help required
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rosco663

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Series 1 Morris Eight suspension - help required Reply with quote

Gidday Forum,

I am need of some assistance regarding the suspension on the Series 1 Morris Eight Rolling Eyes

I am looking to refurbish the front and rear spring hanger bushings as the ones on mine are fairly well flogged out - especially the front sets Shocked

Is there a supplier that has these available or are drawings available to have these made locally?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they Silentbloc type? If so they should have the Silentbloc part number embossed on the outer sleeve. You will have to extract one to read it. Some suppliers still have silentbloc tooling.

Paul
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have friends in the Morris owners club. They were a great group. Perhaps you should consider joining I am sure they will be able to help.
Kels.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosco

Do you mean the forged brackets that are riveted to the chassis?

Dave
Rosco663

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday all,

Paul, I reckon they would be the silentbloc type, however I haven't as yet pulled them down yet. The next two tasks on the project will be to pull both the front and rear axles off the chassis then have the chassis prepared for paint. I will then take a look for any identifying numbers.

The actual forged brackets look good Dave but the rubber components are shot to pieces. I only discovered this once the engine gearbox and shockers were removed. And after a bit of a manual shake down found the front to be a loose as a goose eating a pork sausage.

The local Morris Register can get the Silentbloc ones Kels but I am investigating the possibility of getting hold of some Nolathane or similar bushes to stiffen the ride a little more as I will be installing telescopic shockers and wish to firm up the ride.

The more I think about it I reckon I will get some input from one of the local suspension suppliers. They may even have to put the car on a road simulator to get the formula correct.

Cheers all the quest continues.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be careful firming up the suspension. I did it to my Sons TR7 and it became very harsh to drive. He managed to slide in the snow one winter and wrote it off. Not due to the bushes.
When he replaced it with another TR7 we stayed with the standard bushes.

Kels.
Rosco663

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Kels but I won't be tuning Morry's suspension to track specs Cool

With polymer bushes the ride should not be much stiffer than original. I have found that rubber bushes have a tendency to make tracking wobble. The aim will be to make the tracking truer and more predictable and rely on the springs for ride comfort and the shockers will only be sufficient to remove excessive rebound and not limit axle travel.

We shall see how it goes Wink
Kelsham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. I was under the impression that polybushes were supplied with removable steel inners.
I would have thought that Silentbloc bushes that are actually bonded to the inner tubing would be better at holding the springs firmly.

Keep us updated when you fit the parts, a picture would be nice.

Regards Kels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: