classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

BMC 'B' series engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: BMC 'B' series engine Reply with quote

Was out in Landcrab last week when the engine went bang and car was brought home behind an RAC van.

The engine would start, run rough, and removing plug leads from cylinders 1 and 2 made no difference. Remove either of the others and the engine stopped. Cylinder head gasket I thought.

Removed the head the there was a bolt jammed under the inlet valve on cylinder 1 Shocked No idea where that had come from. Valve removed to free the bolt and inspect for damage. Luckily none. Dread to think what would have happened if it had dropped into the cylinder.

Renewed head gasket and replaced the head. There was no oil in the water.

Refilled the car with water and tried to start but she wasn't having any of it. Left it overnight while battery recharged and went back the following morning and tried to start again with rad cap off (I had topped up the water) and said water shot about a foot in the air Shocked Shocked Dipped the oil and there was more water than oil in the sump

I used a brand new head gasket (same as an MGB so easy to get) and torqued the head down correctly.

Has anyone else had a gasket fail so spectacularly immediately on installation??

Will have to give my back about a week to heal before stripping engine again
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crack in the cylinder head ?

Do you have a photo of the offending bolt ? The super sleuths on here will be able to identify the place of origin.
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so disfigured as to be unrecognisable! I think it is still in the boot somewhere - that is a big boot and is full of stuff!! I will organise a scouting expedition later today to try and find it

Have secured a replacement head from another club member so hopefully will have that next week
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually found the offending bolt. It is approx 2cm in length

ka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Bolt Reply with quote

Looks like a 'captive head' bolt, possibly with a square section beneath the head on the shank, maybe from after-market air cleaner?
Whichever, by your description of oil/water contamination, you have a lot more work to do.

Better three than four.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was tamper proof but I can't find anything similar.
I guess you just need to examine everything in your induction tract for something similar or a hole from which it might have come.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a "Pem" stud (self clinching bolt) I'd agree with KA; its the sort of thing you find on air filters where you can only access one side to tighten.

Dave
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an after market air cleaner on the car, but all its bolts are intact. Whilst it was in bits, everything was searched and shaken to make sure nothing else was lurking. Car now back on road and ran faultlessly around the north Penines yesterday

Thinking back, 3 years ago I was traveling on the A19 when there was an almighty clatter. Looked and a previously fitted after market air filter had deserted its post and presumably found refuge somewhere on that road. The car has covered in excess of 10,000 miles since then so if the offending bolt was from that, I have been very lucky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: