classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

'66 Herald & Accessories
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Andy68

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: '66 Herald & Accessories Reply with quote

Hi,

As it's too snowy and icy to attempt going anywhere here in Louth, Lincolnshre, just thought (hopefully!) you might be interested in looking at the old Herald with it's accessories and perhaps jog a few memories!!! Very Happy .......I guess I'm a Triumph nut, this is now my third.

Owned about 4 years now, saw it on eBay, the ad sounded a bit too good to be true, no one bid so out of curiosity I called him and went to have a look. You can guess the rest....... A retired couple were emigrating and needed to get rid fast.

Was on a 'K' plate, first registered in '73 which I cant explain, perhaps it just sat in a showroom after the 13/60 model came out. I'm now the 3rd owner. 17000 miles, I'm sure genuine, original interior etc etc. I've changed the crossplies for radials on Vitesse rims, cleaned up the engine bay and got carried away with the accessories!!!

Future plans.... would like a respray, change the drums up front for discs and I've a set of 60's Cosmic alloys I'd like to fit with whitewalls.

One item I would like is a Stanpart touring kit so if anyone has one stuck in the back of their garage.......Oh, and a rear venetion blind! Wink

Cheers, Andy

Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

What a find andy,the car suits the mileage--showroom condition!!!
The engine bay is a dream--i bet you open it every day just to dust it with a feather brush! If in drives as it looks--enjoy!!!

Cheers---Ray the Rocker...
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Herald & Accessories Reply with quote

[quote="Andy68"]Hi,

Was on a 'K' plate, first registered in '73 which I cant explain, perhaps it just sat in a showroom after the 13/60 model came out. Cheers, Andy

Just a guess - but it may well have been a hire car out in Jersey or similar, returned to the mainland and re-registered in 1972. I have had an A-prefix Dolomite Sprint and an F-prefix Fiat Panda which have both been low mileage ex-Channel Isles re-imports.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have got to concur, engine bay looks great.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Herald & Accessories Reply with quote

Andy68 wrote:
Hi,

Was on a 'K' plate, first registered in '73 which I cant explain, perhaps it just sat in a showroom after the 13/60 model came out. Cheers, Andy

Just a guess - but it may well have been a hire car out in Jersey or similar, returned to the mainland and re-registered in 1972. I have had an A-prefix Dolomite Sprint and an F-prefix Fiat Panda which have both been low mileage ex-Channel Isles re-imports.

We have had several ex jersey cars, there was a chap dealing in them nearby, and they all had very low milage, so that could be right.

Really nice herald, by the way, will get my mum to have a look as my grandad had a herald at one point I am sure.

Cheers

Dave
Andy68

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Not sure if this throws the Jersey theory out the window, but it also came with the British Motor Industry Heritage Certificate that shows:

Date built, 12th Aug '66
Date Despatched, 16th Aug '66
Destination(Dealer), Cleveland Car Company, Darlington. I think the 'AAJ' reg. it came with relates to that area.

Any thoughts????

Andy
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one very nice Herald there Andy...

Well spotted... Smile

First Bedford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live not far from where the Cleveland Car Company was. Darlington always had the HN reg. Seem to remember that AJ may be Teesside, which will still fit nicely.
Andy68

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever come across any old pics of the garage, especially with the Triumph Dealer signs I'd be very interested. I've tried to find some but with no luck. I got the previous owner history from DVLA and wrote to them (2 families) but unfortunately never heard anything back. Would have been nice to have an original pic of it back in the 60's.

Cheers, Andy
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ was the registration for north Yorkshire - just over the border from Darlington

Cleveland car Company were originally in premises adjacent to Grange Road in Darlington and moved to a larger site near Blands Corner in the late 60's/early 70's Last time I was past there it was trading as Reg Vardy
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy68 wrote:
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Not sure if this throws the Jersey theory out the window, but it also came with the British Motor Industry Heritage Certificate that shows:

Date built, 12th Aug '66
Date Despatched, 16th Aug '66
Destination(Dealer), Cleveland Car Company, Darlington. I think the 'AAJ' reg. it came with relates to that area.

Any thoughts????

Andy

I would say that probably does throw the Jersey theory out the window. Sounds more likely that the car didn't sell initially - the 13/60 was introduced soon after, although the 1200 did soldier on until 1971 - possibly taken home by a retiring director in 1972/3 when it was first registered, little used, perhaps by his wife ... ?
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smile

thats a very nice Herald.

Love the old accessories Cool

I collect accessories for my 1966 Volvo 122 Ragtop, but only original ones, as Volvo had SOO many, to choose from.

Jens Christian
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Herald & Accessories Reply with quote

Very nice car and great to see original carpets. Not sure if you collect all kinds of accessoires - not all of them are from the period (ie. 1966) I think - the steering wheel looks too modern with its modern plastic middle and newer Triumph emblem. More like end seventies/eighties.

[quote="Andy68"]
52classic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely Herald! Just noticed that the original post is nearly 4 years old, I wonder if Andy still has it?

I'm also a fan of period accessories and I well remember saving up for most of them for my own Herald, back in the day.

That steering wheel is about right for period IMHO. I think it is a Mota-Lita (Engraved on the right hand spoke) which was definately available by 1969 and probably earlier. The wood rim lost out to leather by the 70's - on safety grounds I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: