classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pop 103E Panhard rods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Pop 103E Panhard rods Reply with quote

I usually seek help on the Morris 8 E side of this forum, but now need a little help on my Pop. I have purchased a pair of Panhard rods (front & Rear) to help improve the rock & roll ride common to the vehicle.....My Wife, when passenger, holds onto the door puller to stop her rolling back & forth across the car.....I fear she might pull the bakelite frame from the door one of these days.

The issue I have is two fold.........1st when the brackets are fitted centrally, the panhard rods themselves bolt into the spring shackle, replacing one of the bolts. Trouble is, they could fit either side (near/offside) and the fitting instructions, such as they are, don't say which side!!!!! Does it matter? Arising from this, would the front rod fit to the same side as the rear rod?

Secondly, I need a spring spreader to get the shackle bolt out.......I know this is the case when replacing worn bushes.

Anyone know where I might find one of these to buy, rent or loan????

Thank you

Stuart
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old Ford V8 fitted with similar rods. The front one went to one side of the car, the back one to the opposite side. All Ford dealers used to have spring spreaders years ago which they would usually hire out. I have seen home made ones made from a piece of heavy wall tube, and two lengths of allthread.
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Pop 103E Panhard rods Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

I’ve just purchased a set of these rods for my own 103E. I’ve heard a few conflicting stories on what way around they should be fitted to the car.

The owners club are suggesting that both rods should be fitted to the off-side.

A pal of mine has fitted these rods to his own pop a few weeks ago, and I’m waiting feedback from him. This chap used lengths of 4 by 2 inch wood, cut to size to act as his spring spreader.

The Ford owners club do have the proper spreaders for sale, but they are limited in number and are for members only.

I’ve not yet fitted the rods I’ve bought to my own car. I’ve been told before I start this work to be, ‘Very wary of the leaf spring’. Another friend has explained that the springs are lethal, and can be very unforgiving should the wooden spreader, slip or jump off.

I’m going to hang on and find a proper spreader I think. Just in case.

Thanks.

Flywheel.
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Panhard rods fitted Reply with quote

I eventually fitted the panhard rods....one to each side as that seemed to be the logical thing to do. I had asked around about this as there seemed to be two distinct views on this. 'Both to the off side' and 'Both to the nearside'.....with other views such as 'It doesn't matter which side' and the one each side group. I eventually contacted a guy through the side valve club who provided photographic evidence of his own car with one each side. So that's the way I went.

As for the spring spreader......I too was worrying about how to tackle this without a spreader, but in the end found a local garage with a spreader which he had made himself from tubing, threaded bar and nut. It worked a treat.

I was planning to cobble together a timber version, which would have probably done the job with a struggle. But the truth is the spreading job needs a little finesse to get the right amount of spread to remove the bolts without causing too much fuss. by that I mean you have to ensure that the spring ends don't twist out of alignment as the bolt is removed. If it does its a real thrutch to get the bolt back in.

Also you do need room to work around the spring hangers and a lump of wood jammed in there is not going to help.

As for the safety issue.....well I do understand the concerns expressed by people doing this for the first time.. ..like me. I had visions of the springs suddenly twanging straight, removing fingers in the process should things go wrong. The fact is, if this were a large vehicle with huge springs then yes, approach with caution. But those on a 3/4 ton vehicle like the pop were not the problem I envisaged.

The fitting notes provided with the kit were a little vague and so I have done a more detailed set myself with pictures which I have sent to the side valve club in the hope that they send these out with new kits in the future.

Any one wanting a set just let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

Stuart
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: as posted Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for posting, May i please have a copy of your notes on this too please? I will send a pm with my email address.

Thanks.

Flywheel
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you please let me know where to buy the "panhard rod" kit, or some pic's and measurement's of one, i can weld/fabricate some then, (pop 103e 1957) thank's,
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I know of no panhard rod kits currently available, if one gets hold of the book ''Ford Special Builders Manual', by GB Wake, this has some good photographs of how the [rear]rods are fitted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FORD-SPECIAL-BUILDERS-MANUAL/dp/B00HUO5J4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490481390&sr=8-1&keywords=Ford+special+builders+manual

The ones illustrated have a special plate that bolts to the U bolts of the rear spring.

A long time ago now, I did hear of [mk 1] Ford Fiesta rear panhard rods being used?

Since Pop suspension effectively 'pivots' around the centre point of the road spring, short rods from spring centre to a longer spring shackle bolt will be fine.

One could also make use of the rear shocker mounting bolts?
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq, thank's for the information, bought it,
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford sidevalve owners club sell front and rear panhard rod kit for £145, not sure if that includes front anti roll bar, saw that somewhere.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSOC front & rear panhard rod kit now £150.

Anti-rollbar?

Not, I think, on a Pop/E93A-type chassis.

Most likely fitment for a 100E or 107E, with its independent front suspension?

Given the simplicity of a Pop, it may well be cheaper to make one's own set-up for panhard rods?

Start with one for the rear axle first.

See how that goes?

If making one's own, good to pick commonly available bush sizes?
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaplane fluid cushion upright shock conversion for the rear, same as woodhead conversion for the rear with anti roll bar
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAh, I see....

Still not sure one would be effective.....long panhard rod probably needed instead?

My Dellow has coil springs instead of a leaf..[earlier one's had half elliptic springs, like the Austin Seven]...with a long panhard rod....and the Pop radius arms....and tele dampers...

No need for an anti rollbar.....

IIRC, an anti rollbar has the effect of progressively stiffening the spring [rate].....

The standard pop springs are quite stiff as they come.
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading up on panhard rod fitting, seem's the longer the better,
so i was thinking weld a bracket on the rear axle, near as possible to the rear brake drum, and then figure out where to anchor the other end as far away as possible,
instead of having a short p/rod bolted to the spring clamp, we'll see,

Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
AAAh, I see....

Still not sure one would be effective.....long panhard rod probably needed instead?

My Dellow has coil springs instead of a leaf..[earlier one's had half elliptic springs, like the Austin Seven]...with a long panhard rod....and the Pop radius arms....and tele dampers...

No need for an anti rollbar.....

IIRC, an anti rollbar has the effect of progressively stiffening the spring [rate].....

The standard pop springs are quite stiff as they come.
maybe it is effective at relieving the buyers wallet of its contents.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to weld bracket to axle....simply extend bottom spring perch bolt? [IE, Use longer bolt?]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: