classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Introduction Austin Ruby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
petermeachem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Introduction Austin Ruby Reply with quote

I find myself with spare time now so I decided to do something with the Ruby. It's been in the back of the garage for 26 years. It is actually in not bad condition, it needs a coat of paint. I'll need to buy a compressor and learn how to use it, the forum looks very useful for that.
This was my first car, a 21st birthday present in 1974 and I've dragged it round with me ever since. Modern cars are just too complicated and expensive, an Austin seems much more sensible. The plan therefore is to get this going and bin the modern car.

Some pictures:-

It has Ace wheel discs

I am going to assume the engine etc are ok, everything turns over freely so it will probably be fine.
The rust in the photos looks worse than on the car.
I'll do this bit first.

It was rusting behind the gutters so I took them off (decades ago). I don't know if Austin painted the car and then screwed on painted gutters. The gutters will require a bit of fiddling to fit.

I've had various interesting cars. A Mk1 Mexico in orange with stripes which was used for classic trials and going to work. I then had three Midgets, all with same reg no by coincidence, which all fell to bits. They were also trials cars and in spite of copious welding all died. I also had a Cannon replica which I did nothing with at all. I sold it to the guy whose dad built it. He has done it up and is trialling it. Isn't that lovely? Cool car, e93a engine with Aquaplane bits and a mixture of Ford and Austin mechanics. Also a Peugeot 205 gti 1.6. It was a wonderful car, really good fun. And some terrible cars, tr7, renault r10

I'll try to keep up to date on progress and not ask for too much help!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found us, it'll be good to follow the work done to the Ruby and maybe it'll encourage a few more Austin 7 owners to join up and take part, as happened with the Morris 8 owners.

RJ Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction Austin Ruby Reply with quote

petermeachem wrote:
The plan therefore is to get this going and bin the modern car.

Hi Peter,

I like your way of thinking! Great to see the Ruby and look forward to hearing more very soon Cool

Steve
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a good project i look forward to following progress and by the way i love my TR7 Laughing
petermeachem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TR7 was awful. It wouldn't go into 1st gear from stationary if if was very cold, the side windows dropped out of their channels and had to be hammered back in and the headlamps went up and down erratically. It was the newest car I've ever owned and it failed it's first MOT due to rust. At 30,000 miles the timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. I couldn't see what was coming down the M23 when I was going down the slip road to join it on my way home every day so I just went as fast as possible and pulled out.
Aside from that it was ok Laughing
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, looking at that, rustwise, you should be able to get a good result. Lovely, thick, quality steel like my own Austin. Persevere because it's worth it. Did mine 21 years ago and just about 5 small areas of paint starting to lift, mainly due to having a dust sheet collecting damp for a few months.
The main worry is allowing rust to start again if you leave exposed for a time. I found the treated surface keeps quite well but you need to clean off the accrual of oxides and other salts not long before painting.
Great car.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicated.

Last edited by colwyn500 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
petermeachem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Interesting to see the pictures again. It all looks much better now, I am making a difference!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: