classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chrysler 360 V8 experts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
dalbuie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Chrysler 360 V8 experts? Reply with quote

Hi,

Not posted for a while but still reading and still pottering about with classics and still using the Chevy every week Smile

As Carol and I are thinking about having longer trips away at vintage shows (and visiting those more than 100 miles from us, maximum I'll go in a day in the chevy) we've recently purchased a 1972 Minnie Winnie, no interior but very solid - and cheap!

The engine was running (badly) and I have found mistakes in the firing order, a badly rebuilt rochester and lots of small things I'm fixing (including front callipers on the wrong way round) and thought I'd ask if there were any experts on the Chrysler 360 as I can't find the temp gauge sender and am a bit unsure of the intake manifold vacuum 'trees'

Anyone know what the 2 top trees and the 1 bottom tree are? The bottom tree is open all the time and has the brake booster connected to it and the top trees only when hot - but the distributor advance was connected to the top (I think lots of the vacuum connections are for things I don't have (emissions stuff) but want to make sure I block of the correct ones.

Anyone know what the broken connection in pic 2 is for (is it the temp sender)

If not where is the temp sender.

Once it's fully up and running we plan to get an MOT and then fit it out in original 1972 Winnebago Green Smile

Thanks in advance.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi in the East. Not familiar with these engines but if you look where the two pipes come down just behind the water pump,then to the right of the smaller one, there is a small flat area with what looks like a temp sender screwed in - removal of this item would confirm if there is a bulb end to it. Like the look of your Winnebago,cheers,JD.
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I did wonder about that - it has a threaded end to it, but no cables near it.

I'll take it out and see what it is, and if it's into the water channel.

Cheers
D
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a 360 but I have had a couple 318's. From memory I would agree with John about the temperature sender. The vacuum tree with 3 ports is probably to do with advance and retard, which was supposed to alter as the engine warmed up. Again from memory I would have expected to see a Carter rather than a Rochester. That could explain why the vacuum pipes don't work out
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rochester seems to be pretty standard for the 70s 360 (especially in marine format) but this is a later engine I think so maybe has some ports for emissions stuff.

I've got a couple of books on order from the old Fleebay so hopefully I'll get there.

Cheers
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get a new carb from ebay - from someone who bought a job lot from a USA base in the UK and the carb number showed was for a 84 Dodge so matched my engine exactly.

The temp sender was as per mentioned above and found the oil pressure switch and after a full rewire it's now running a dream Very Happy

Been stripping the roof in the past few weeks - 40 years of various coatings - in preparation for a new coat of http://www.motorhomeroofrepair.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: