classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Singer Vogue exhaust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Journer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Singer Vogue exhaust. Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a place I can purchase an exhaust for my Singer Vogue without having to remortgage? The prices I am being quoted are a bit crazy. Shocked
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much you been quoted so far?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many exhausts for classics will be hand made to order; not mass produced , hence even a simple exhaust for the most modest of vehicle can cost north of £200, a big chunk of which will be labour. The owners club may have commissioned a few to get the price down?

Dave
Journer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I will get one for less than £240 and while I understand it may have to be made in some cases, from what I can see, the sellers have them in stock. In any case, I don't think it would be a titanic task to make them if you have the facilities to do so.

I just gets a little annoying that to own a classic you pay over the odds when sourcing parts. Rolling Eyes
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had an exhaust for a modern lately? I haven't, but inflation these last few years on lots of stuff seems to me to have been running way ahead of the official government-fiddled statistics. I just wonder if £240 for an exhaust system really is wildly over the odds, by current standards at least - I know when I wanted a couple of tyres earlier this year I was surprised by how much prices had shot up since the last time.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a good idea what it looks like, a trawl round some of the older motor factors might pay dividends. Some of them have cellars full of unidentified old stock that they are happy to dispose of for a small sum!
pmarshal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: http://www.pdgough.com/editorials.asp?d=5 Reply with quote

Mine has had a stainless from these guys since 1985, so if you have to pay big then get a good one Smile http://www.pdgough.com/editorials.asp?d=5
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both our P5's have Gough's exhausts on since the late 1990's - they are good - about £250 then incl fitting £25) which I strongly recommend. Will be double in price now suppose

Hand made mild steel exhausts then were about £100 cheaper and lasted 18 months.

Mild steel exhausts for our Series LR's are cheap £60 but they only last 2 winters. A new mild steel exhaust for my wifes 1968 Mini Trav was over £70 4 years ago and 5000 miles and that is on its last legs

£240 for a handmade mild steel one is fair but really a waste of money if you want to keep the car.

OE & Pattern Exhausts still turn up at old factors but even then it may be be the whole system

Old car parts made new will be at 2013 prices for the limited runs - but they are still likely to be cheaper than modern car parts
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: