classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Unable to bleed brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Unable to bleed brakes Reply with quote

After spending many hours refitting new brake pipes and a new Brake Master Cylinder to my project (Honda TN7) I thought the easy part would be bleeding the system.

Alas not! When I top up the reservoir, open the furthest away bleed nipple, and pump the brake pedal, absolutely no brake fluid is drawn even into the master cylinder.

I have tried all sorts of things, such as removing the brake pipes at the master cylinder, but I can't even get the fluid to pump to there. Then I resorted to removing the whole assembly from the truck again which is a real pain due to it's position under the cab floor, and then I put fluid directly into it and pumped but still it does not seem to draw the fluid through!

Any ideas?

kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an easibleed and force it through?
got one here you can borrow but the journey to pick it up may be a bit far. a very worthwhile investment in my book and it makes fluid changes a doddle

kev x
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,

I have already got a Gunsons Eezibleed, trouble is I am yet to own one of the vehicles which those adapter caps actually fit.....
and you guessed it, none of them fit this Honda.
If I had a spare resevoir cap for this vehicle I would use that to make an adapter, but no. Doh.

Steve
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Hi Kev,

I have already got a Gunsons Eezibleed, trouble is I am yet to own one of the vehicles which those adapter caps actually fit.....
and you guessed it, none of them fit this Honda.
If I had a spare resevoir cap for this vehicle I would use that to make an adapter, but no. Doh.

Steve

ah!
Farmer John

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D4, we should always, with no exceptions, bench bleed a master cylinder. Just use a finger as a valve on the exit fitting. Push the pushrod right in but then use a finger to block the hole as the pushrod returns. Do not unblock immediately the pushrod returns, it can take some time for the fluid to fill the bore again. Remember that initially you might be trying to purge air, air is very springy and can take some time for fluid to get to where you want it.
A point should be reached where the finger is pushed away enough on the downstroke and blocks the exit on return. When no more air is pumped out test the cylinder by simply pumping the pushrod to ensure that it keeps pumping without touching the exit.
This will be a messy task squirting fluid around that will dissolve some paint but it is worth all the mess as the only way to ensure that the cylinder is working as it should.
Make sure that the bleeder is absolutely clear before bleeding, take the bleeder right out and use the finger-valve if unsure.
Unless you know for sure that the system will bleed easily always close the bleeder on the pedal upstroke. I trust that Mr Honda has put the bleeder at the top of the wheel cylinder!

John
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

That's the bit I didn't know! Many thanks I will try bench bleeding it tomorrow.

Yes Mr Honda has put the bleed nipples at the top of the wheel cylinders

so things are looking up Cool Cool

Steve
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job done!!

Many thanks Farmer John, your method worked a treat! It was tricky trying to make finger valves
over both outlets as it's a dual circuit master cylinder, but once I clamped it in the vice, and put an old bed sheet
around to catch all the fluid, it went as planned.

Many Thanks

Steve
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Steve, you did all the dirty work. Then refitted with fluid running down your arms? Good thing is it all washes off with water.

John
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I got in a right old mess....... happier now tho! Cheers again Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: