classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E493a prefect brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: E493a prefect brakes Reply with quote

Having decided to live with the wheel bearings for the moment I deciided to get the brakes finished and wheels back and get body ready for sprayer. Got the new shoes in,after the usual struggle to get the return springs to stay in, but when I went to put the drums on impossible to do without resorting to my mechanics friend, large hammer. So drums on won,t turn too tight adjusters backed right off' everything on back plate looks OK. Anny advice or comment would be a help[/u]
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you disconnected the brake rods and made sure the expanders are not stuck. Just a thought.

Art
safechief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art, Thanks for that think they are free, at least they were before I stripped the old ones out
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
safechief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: E493a prefect brakes Reply with quote

Art book says shouldn't be able to move brake expander by hand, so how do I know if it's seized
BR
Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes apart. The are two solid barrels/pistons that each have a ramp which runs on a roller each. The rollers run on the expander which is screwed to the pull-rod. As you pull the rod towards the middle of the car they should pop out (pushing the shoes against the drum).
I can't recall exactly but there may be split pins to stop the barrels falling out. I can look at my Jag. tomorrow (it's the same Girling system)

Art
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag has described the Girling expander perfectly. There are thin split pins fitted to retain the pistons and all should move freely.
The brake expanders must move freely on the brake back plate though and I suspect that this is what your book is referring to. If you have locked them up solidly this is almost certainly why one shoe is fouling the drum. As well as backing off the adjuster fully I prefer to release the actuating rod as well when fitting new shoes.

Paul
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents for that, found the drawings in the manual, I will release the cable/rods and see how we go from there
BR Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
safechief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: E493a prefect brakes Reply with quote

Well gents, I have disconnected the brake rods from the mechanism at the centre of the back axle and loosened up the adjuster housing so that it moves freely. Drums now go on with minimum use of the persuader and revolve, albeit still drag but turn more freely with wheels on giving more leverage. I guess they might free off with some use. But it seems that I may have to adjust the brake rods to each rear wheel, a process that concerns me as I seem to remember my old Dad and I getting into some bother with my model Y 50 Years ago doing just that..Thanks for you help so far Gents. Any further advice appreciated
BR to all Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

The drag may be due to the shoes not quite centralized. Try tightening the adjusters up hard and then back them fully off to see if that helps.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: