classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Misfiring Moggy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electronics in the Maplin (Vellaman) ignition system are reliable, when fitted to a vehicle with an alternator. If fitted to a vehicle with electro mechanical regulation, a cheap snubber diode should be fitted to the supply. In all cases if you add a dpdt switch the condenser can be left in, should the electronics fail, it's a simple flick of the switch to return to a conventional set up, see diagram below with mods in red.

Dave
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great advice here - thank you all

The needle fitted now is the lean one. Plugs are black as the car is started on the choke and is left to run til warm before i start trying to track the fault so it never gets really hot or has a good run. Each time before I start work I take the plugs out and clean them - it is almost at the stage that they will unscrew themselves if I whistle!

That modern Accuspark dizzy would seem to be the culprit (it is the one with points rather than the electronic one they make) so I will buy a replacement traditional one - after all the traditional set up on the Landcrab has never let me down ...... yet
Farmer John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello peppi.
The needle "height" in the piston is critical. Better to look in the appropriate manual whether a groove or step or whatever to define the correct height for your model.
Whenever the carb is dismantled as far as removing the main jet, it needs to be centralised upon assembly. Presumably the needle and jet match.
The main jet will need adjusting, this is only done at full operating temperature.
John
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John
I made sure that I fitted the needle correctly. It does still need adjusting but will only do that once I can get the thing really hot. yes, the needle and jet are a match

Many thanks for the info
Farmer John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good, the thing is that the carb has to be removed to check that the jet is centralised.
This moggy has been a good runner for you, what changed it's temperament?
John
jessejazza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
The electronics in the Maplin (Vellaman) ignition system are reliable, when fitted to a vehicle with an alternator. If fitted to a vehicle with electro mechanical regulation, a cheap snubber diode should be fitted to the supply. In all cases if you add a dpdt switch the condenser can be left in, should the electronics fail, it's a simple flick of the switch to return to a conventional set up, see diagram below with mods in red.

Dave

I have been using a Velleman unit as my experience on electronic (Newtronic and SimonBBC both a disaster). The TAC unit is excellent imo - I used a Boyer before Velleman ones.

However, I have retained the condensor (useful to leave in place in case there is a problem with the Velleman and it has to be removed) and understood that the Velleman just bypasses it. I presume the switch would simply provide on-off capability like the Sparkrite of the 80s.

The Velleman unit is now not available at Maplins I'm told but here is another supplier for anyone wanting one.
http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/velleman-k2543-electronic-transistor-ignition-kit
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmer John wrote:
Thats good, the thing is that the carb has to be removed to check that the jet is centralised.
This moggy has been a good runner for you, what changed it's temperament?
John

Hi John,

No idea what caused her to misbehave. In the 10 years I have had her, she has safely carried me to John O'Groats and I bought her near Lands End and drove her home, and has never missed a beat. It is a close run thing between her and the Landcrab as to which is the most reliable car (the other in the stable beiing a merc 190) In May this year I jumped into her one morning and she just had no power. That fault was traced to the plunger in the carb being 'iffy' so replaced it. That is when I changed the needle and jet as well. Just after that the misfire started and I have been trying to sort it ever since.

She is unhappliy asleep in garage at the moment (doesn't like not being used and sometimes 'has a strop' until she has done a few miles then all is well again) but next week when things return to normal I will change the ignition system (and double check the alignment of that needle!)
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when you are ready to do the carb.
So good you are speaking positively about your cars. They know.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: