classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can you identify this regulator?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
captain bobo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Can you identify this regulator? Reply with quote

A contact of mine also has a pre war Daimler that he is rebuilding. It has a weird non-standard Lucas regulator that we can't identify & I wondered if anyone in this forum can shed any light and help us identify it.

It has 2 bobbins (so we assume 1 for cut out and 1 for dynamo regulator). Printed on the Bakelite body is the following: Lucas 12 RH L6 ER. It is similar in shape to a Lucas CFR type box.

It has 6 terminals labelled H, L, S, Aux, B, E. We've worked out most of the terminal functions and hazarded a guess at the internal circuitry but we're puzzled by the lack of F and D terminal for the dynamo.

We wondered if it might be some military product or perhaps a unit made for a boat or something like that.

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

Best wishes, Dave B
Bugly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Bobo - Happy New Year!! Don't quote me, but the terminal descriptions of H, L, S, Aux, B, E make the unit sound more like a headlight relay (High Beam, Low Beam, Side/Tail, Auxiliary, Battery, Earth). BIDSTBC!! Very Happy
captain bobo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year to you too! I like your thinking vis-a-vis the terminals. Regrettably the previous owner had removed the box before my friend acquired the car, so we don't know how it was wired in.

I'll recommend that he tries linking it up per your suggestion and see what happens.

Best wishes, Dave B
Bugly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain bobo wrote:
Happy new year to you too! I like your thinking vis-a-vis the terminals. Regrettably the previous owner had removed the box before my friend acquired the car, so we don't know how it was wired in.

I'll recommend that he tries linking it up per your suggestion and see what happens.

Best wishes, Dave B

Dave, these same terminal designations are found on the rear of the old Lucas ignition switches. Its possible (no guarantees though Confused ) that the wiring from the ignition switch extends to the relay, and it is the relay that actually activates the lights. Need to confirm it with a wiring diagram methinks!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: