classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

brake fluids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Spike2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: brake fluids Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me how to determine what fluid is in my system on my 35 Morris.I have just taken a sample from the resorvoir and dabbed a drop on various painted surfaces- no reaction.oNe of the wheel cylinders is weeping with rusty fluid so wouldn't have thought silicone based fluid was in there. The system appears to have been overhauled sometime in the past, but who knows what fluid is in there.Did not really want to strip completly an clean all the seals etc. thought I would completely refill with DOT3. but obviously dont want to mix Dot3 with DOT5
Anyone got any thoughts please.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, it's highly unlikely to be DOT5 so I would flush it through with new DOT4 fluid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: