classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Drum Brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I changed my shoes to new ones, I also found some of the issues discussed. If you just rub the shoe against the drum, it highlights the high spots, and demonstrates how long it takes for shoes to bed in. I used 1200 grit wet and dry placed on the inside of the drum, then rubbed the shoe along it, performing the bedding in procedure, but a lot quicker. Yes I accept that the wet and dry alters the diameter of the drum/shoe set up, but only marginally, accelerating the bedding process no end.

Better three than four.
jessejazza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brakes Reply with quote

1963EJ wrote:
My 1963 Holden has drum brakes all round. The fronts had always been a problem pulling and shuddering. I have had the drums machined and fitted new shoes and adjusted them up correctly. The shoes are the correct fit in the machined drums.

How? No offence but few folk I have found actually do the adjustment correctly on a TLS drum brakes. Does not help when Haynes manuals do not give correct instruction. Rear SLS with a mechanical adjuster are easier whereas the TLS has two snail cams.

This is what should be done... after jacking up the front. Choose one of the adjusters (say front one for now) and loosen off by at least a full turn. Adjust the rear and then loosen off by 2 notches (can be 3 but remember which). Adjust front and then take up the 2 notches on the rear. Also worth checking the snail cams as they suffer wear and so thus affect adjustment. (Landrover workshop manual is the only manual I have found that describes this properly!).

If one does adjustment of the shoes together this I found leads to uneven wear and possibly judder although when I did it this way I did not get any. I do not like the TLS and on my series 3 SWB landy I am replacing the front 10" SLS with 11" rear series 2 to improve the brakes. A lot put the LWB TLS on the front. I won't have the advantage of the TLS servo effect but I will have better adjustment.
Rosco663

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting problem with your brakes Dave almost the opposite to some of the problems I had with my HR Holden many moons ago.

Mine suffered occasionally from grabbing which occured after the old Hell Raiser has been standing overnight especially on a damp night. Due to not being parked in a garage or under a carport but mainly due to a complete miss-match of 2nd hand brakes shoes and drums sourced from wrecking yards (poor Uni student Sad ) Apparently the linings tend to absorb moisture from the atmosphere, which causes slight swelling and an increase in diameter. It also increases the coefficient of friction between the lining and the drum itself. This condition was described to me as 'early morning sharpness'.

Your condition seems to be different and may require a different train of thought in that your linings, if damp would actually reduce in diameter after warming up.

What are the characteristics of the drums themselves? Do they exhibit any particular wear, cracks, heat induced colourations? These symptoms can be used for further diagnosis. Also do the shoes show any unusual markings? Grease, oil or brake fluid contamination can also influence braking performance also.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: