classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My A40 Somerset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: My A40 Somerset Reply with quote

This is my latest project an Austin A40 Somerset it has surface rust mainly but is in need of some minor welding it has no registration (probably sold)and not re registered as a couple of car park tickets confirm that it was on the road in 1999-2001
The plan is to repair the panel work and recommision the mechanics and then use as a rolling restoration

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photos. The buildings in the background look interesting too, ex-military?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't look too bad under the surface rust. It looks like it was a black car originally with brown trim going by the dashboard (cars with red trim had the centre part of the dashboard red as well), so those seats have really faded!

I don't know for sure, but the Counties club may well have a better set of seats and doorcards in their secondhand spares barn, would be a lot cheaper than a retrim!

I would guess by the chassis number that it's a 1954 car, and a late one at that. My September 1953 car has the number 790677.
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard thanks for you comment are you using the car number on the sun visor as a chassis number as that number differs from the number actualy on the chassis that is 875384 also i have no engine number as plate is missing there is a number on the bulkhead that is 106763 (body number perhaps) im still awaiting my membership details from the counties club i think that the front end is from a second somerset as there painted grey as are two of the doors and strangely the sills are welded to what looks like scaffold poles
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably had a replacement sunvisor at some point. My car has the original drivers side tan sunvisor with the plate that matches the number on the chassis, but the passenger side sunvisor is a blue drivers side one from another car, complete with the chassis plate from that car! This confused one of the previous owners as he gave the wrong chassis number to the club records.

I should think the chassis and body numbers, and someone from the club to inspect it (to prove it exists) should be sufficient for you to get an age related plate!

The club does sell new Somerset sills, obviously they aren't structural with the separate chassis so I don't know why the scaffold tubes have been fitted! Hopefully the chassis is in good nick, it's only the outriggers that go usually.
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good news i have just got my Austin Counties membership and this car is known to them and the chassis number still has a registration listed with the dvla it looks to have been rebodied at some time as the car is listed as grey but the visor chassis number is also know to the club as a black car reg not found at dvla so hopefully i will be able to obtain a log book fairly easily
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news I now have a v5c with the original registration number of rtt 554 and I have also obtained a heritage certificate confirming a build date of 9th June 1954 Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjt10/4 wrote:
Some good news I now have a v5c with the original registration number of rtt 554 and I have also obtained a heritage certificate confirming a build date of 9th June 1954 Very Happy

Result! Cool

Do you know who the supplying dealer was? My A40 Farina (820 FTT) was sold by Pikes of Exeter originally.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick sorry but that is the only information missing from the heritage certificate but from the information I have found out I suspect that the car has spent its whole life in and around the Devon west country areas
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result! Cool
Jimmy Gritter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: A40 Somerset... Reply with quote

I realised this is an old post but do you happen to still own the car, I am sure somewhere I have the original bill of sale from when it was new, I just can not put my hand on it at the moment.
It was owned by V. M. Glass, Kennford and later sold to D. Cooper of Newton Abbot....
Jimmy Gritter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: A40 Somerset... Reply with quote

I realised this is an old post but do you happen to still own the car, I am sure somewhere I have the original bill of sale from when it was new, I just can not put my hand on it at the moment.
It was owned by V. M. Glass, Kennford and later sold to D. Cooper of Newton Abbot....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: