classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 Vibration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Vibration Reply with quote

I have a bad vibration when the engine is in overrun. When it idles it is very smooth and quiet. When I accelerate it is OK until I lift my foot then it vibrates. I have checked the engine mounts and the structure supporting them. I have the gear box out currently and the shaft with the synchros seems to fairly loose and can be moved side to side and the synchros moved fore and aft slightly more than I would expect. Could this be excess wear thet is causing the vibration.? The clutch and flywheel have not been touched since before the vibration started so I do not expect them to be causing it.
Timstopp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is of any help, I had exactly the same symptoms on my Wolseley - turned out to be one of the propshaft UJ bearings has collapsed. Smooth on acceleration and mad vibration on overun............
Worth checking as these are an easy fix.
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Vibration Reply with quote

The universals are OK. It vibrates when it is stationary after revving the engine on run down.
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most interesting, since I've been beset by this annoyance for as long as I can remember. It has persisted over the years despite fitting:

1. An expensively-overhauled and fully balanced engine.
2. Complete new clutch.
3. Reconditioned four-speed gearbox, which obviously necessitated a different rear mounting.
4. Reconditioned, balanced, and shortened (spare) prop shaft to accommodate the four-speed 'box.
5. Differential head with NOS CWP.

It did improve a little after fitting the Series E gearbox, which I put down to the firmer mounting used, but has recently become worse again. It happens in a rev band around 35-40mph in top.

I've long suspected cracks in the chassis around the front engine mountings, but have never found any.

Richard
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Morris 8 vibration Reply with quote

I know of some cases where a cracked generator support bracket caused vibration.
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can well believe it. I've even run without the fan belt in case the dynamo or fan were the cause, but it made no difference.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 vibration Reply with quote

Sometimes the chassis cracks where the cross member joins the side member. Mine has quite a few repairs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: