classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dynamo to alternator on my Vogue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Journer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Dynamo to alternator on my Vogue. Reply with quote

Could some one suggest an alternator that would be the most suitable to aquire that would need the least fetteling to install. Would an older lucas be the best as it 's pully wheel wont run off a serpentine? Has any one else done this on a vogue? Is it a easily done? My Dynamo only gives out 1 volt even after cleaning. The brushes and comutator are fine and the resistance is on the button.

Appreciate the info as I need to get it up for an MOT.

Thanks. Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamo to alternator on my Vogue. Reply with quote

Journer wrote:
Could some one suggest an alternator that would be the most suitable to aquire that would need the least fetteling to install. Would an older lucas be the best as it 's pully wheel wont run off a serpentine? Has any one else done this on a vogue? Is it a easily done? My Dynamo only gives out 1 volt even after cleaning. The brushes and comutator are fine and the resistance is on the button.

Appreciate the info as I need to get it up for an MOT.

Thanks. Smile

Few mixed messages there Smile

If you don't intend to use the car much when it requires lights, I'd stick with a dynamo, otherwise I'd upgrade to a alternator.

Dave
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journer,

Where are you measuring this 1 volt? Connect your voltmeter to the D terminal. Bridge the F & D terminals on the dynamo and raise the revs. You should see the voltage rise. If it goes above 14 volts you could have a problem with your regulator. Where are you in Glasgow? I'll PM you my phone number if you want more help.

Art
Journer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Journer,

Where are you measuring this 1 volt? Connect your voltmeter to the D terminal. Bridge the F & D terminals on the dynamo and raise the revs. You should see the voltage rise. If it goes above 14 volts you could have a problem with your regulator. Where are you in Glasgow? I'll PM you my phone number if you want more help.

Art

Cheers m8,

I'm in Kelvindale, Glasgow but I travel down to Port Glasgow where my car is. Yes please, give me your number and I'll bell you and explain what I did more clearly.

Cheers again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: