classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Changing yor Classic Car Colour
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
hillmanseeker

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Changing yor Classic Car Colour Reply with quote

Cool
Hi, What's everyone's view on wanting to change the original colour of your Classic Car ?

Do you think it would de value your cars worth?
We are thinking of changing the whole colour scheme of our car.

Thanks everyone,
Dave. Wink
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in part it depends what colour(s) you were planning to switch to - a factory colour scheme still?

In an ideal world, leaving it original is the way to go, but if a) it's a horrible colour or b) you prefer something different, then why not? It's a big job to do properly though, there's nothing worse than opening a car door and seeing the original colour on the door shuts etc Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
hillmanseeker

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours of our car are a sort of beige/mag colour and the roof is a sort of winsor blue! Interior is red, metallic bronze dash etc.

We were thinking of black roof, very light pale yellow bodywork and wheels. A black interior with metallic silver dash etc.
Dave.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go for it apart from the silver dash. Yellow always gets my vote. Colours are always a matter for personal taste and even modern cars can have some really cacky colour schemes.
PS. You got me thinking and I nearly ordered yellow for the previously blue Fiat I am about to paint.

Last edited by colwyn500 on Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, there are loads of "original" restored vehicles......do something different Smile

Dave
Minxy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely a personal choice I would say, it's your car do with it as you wish. My opinion - no way would I change the colour, I personally think it devalues the car, I certainly would not buy a car with a change of colour unless it was priced to allow a change back ( I.e devalued). That said I may ( a big May) consider it if it was a period colour for that vehicle and it was a complete bare body, paint stripped re-spray. As Rick says nothing worse than opening a door to find a different colour........or lifting a carpet, opening a bonnet,boot etc.

My opinion of colour changes is much the same as number plate retention.
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Moggy 10 years ago it had a Cheap Reliable Affordable Paint job in Trafalgar blue, which was not the original colour. It took ages to find an unpainted area (eventually found one high up under the dash on the bulkhead) and it turned out the car had originally been Smoke Blue - a really drab moggy colour. I gave her a complete, inside and out, bare metal respray BUT chose Mercedes China Blue (close to the original colour, but much better to look at) At shows the number of people who came up to me and said 'I had a Minor that colour' They seemed a bit put out when I answered that it was actually a Mercedes, not Morris, colour.

As others have said, it is your car so do the paint for you.

I sold the Minor earlier this year - for double what I was expecting so certainly it wasn't devalued
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: