classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Flashing trafficators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
OuBallie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Flashing trafficators Reply with quote

Good news!
Flashing LED festoon bulbs now available from http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/
No more headaches I was having working out how to wire the element festoon bulbs to flash.
Festoon bulb holders available to modify bolt-on flashers from http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-holders/7059920/

Geoff - My tool drawer organising saga coming to an end this arvy
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
47p2

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most drivers don't notice trafficators so I would doubt very much if having them flashing is much of an upgrade
OuBallie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 47p2.
I'm adding indicators to the bumpers of my Austin Seven, just to make sure all those idiots on the road see my intention to turn.

Geoff - Back to fixing the lathe next week, at last.
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
ka

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amusing when I give hand signals, particularly the left turn signal...(the polite type)

Better three than four.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/flashers.htm

Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trafficators may be very period and a talking point but worse than useless in modern day traffic as most have no idea what they are for.

I have them on our Rover P2 still but have converted the front side lights and rear reverse lights to flashers with orange bulbs and relays so the trafficators
still work with them and all self cancel. Appearance unaltered unless operating

Cannot see that making them flash will make any difference either

I like the accessory site too
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flashing trafficator may help educate those not so fortunate as to their purpose Idea Arrow

I remember the days when, as a boy, it was my job to hit the inside of the door pillar to make it either rise or fall.
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Somerset only has trafficators. I haven't yet had a problem, touch wood, with people not seeing my indication and getting angry. I do roughly 1000 miles a month, mostly on motorways. I make all lane and direction changes very deliberate, using road positioning to good effect to make it as obvious as I can to other motorists what my intentions are. I also have a big "Beware - Trafficators in Use" sticker in the back window which probably helps a bit.

I don't want to fit flashers, mainly because I don't like the look of them, but also because so far, I haven't felt the need to. I have heard of other classic car fans having trouble with people not seeing the trafficators though, including one poor chap who hasn't used his A30 for two years because someone didn't see his trafficator and gave him a load of abuse, which caused him to lose confidence Sad
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:
My Somerset only has trafficators. I haven't yet had a problem, touch wood, with people not seeing my indication and getting angry. I do roughly 1000 miles a month, mostly on motorways. I make all lane and direction changes very deliberate, using road positioning to good effect to make it as obvious as I can to other motorists what my intentions are. I also have a big "Beware - Trafficators in Use" sticker in the back window which probably helps a bit.

I don't want to fit flashers, mainly because I don't like the look of them, but also because so far, I haven't felt the need to. I have heard of other classic car fans having trouble with people not seeing the trafficators though, including one poor chap who hasn't used his A30 for two years because someone didn't see his trafficator and gave him a load of abuse, which caused him to lose confidence Sad

With you on this Richard Smile , I work on the principle that many drivers won't spot trafficator's (and let's face it why would they ?), so I'm always aware what is behind me, don't make sudden changes, and drive defensively. Like you I have not had a problem. I really don't see any benefit in flashing trafficators and I also hate the amber flashers some folk fit to their cars Shocked

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I really don't see any benefit in flashing trafficators and I also hate the amber flashers some folk fit to their cars Shocked

Dave

I was reading of a fantastic restoration undertaken on a rare pre-war drophead coupe type car recently. Cracking looking car - apart from Mini flashing indicators fitted to it (compounded by 1960s' chrome wing mirrors). Safe yes, but looked lousy. If flashing indicators are a must, at least use something that's broadly in-period looking Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
I really don't see any benefit in flashing trafficators and I also hate the amber flashers some folk fit to their cars Shocked

Dave

I was reading of a fantastic restoration undertaken on a rare pre-war drophead coupe type car recently. Cracking looking car - apart from Mini flashing indicators fitted to it (compounded by 1960s' chrome wing mirrors). Safe yes, but looked lousy. If flashing indicators are a must, at least use something that's broadly in-period looking Smile

RJ

Funny you should mention period looking, as I have been working on incorporating flashing indicators into a Lucas ST51 lamp using modern high power LEDs .

The LEDs on the left perform the tail/ brake function; they work on reduced power for the tail light and full for brake. The LEDs on the right are yellow, and only used for the indicators and are bright enough to shine an amber light through the red lens, but in this prototype not really bright enough. I'm limited with power as working with the limits of a Morris 8 6V electrical system. The front indicators are simpler as the yellow LEDs can be built into the original side lamps.

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about trying to maintain the period look and some add ons do look wrong especially where plastic motorcycle indicators are stuck above or below the bumpers but it is still risky driving without modern indicators somewhere.

I have converted the Lucas D lamps using miniature BA7 21 halogens and BA15s small globe stop/tails.

I will post some pics as these do work well but our Rover 16 is a 12v system

The modern high output Leds look to be the answer though
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really rely on trafficators and use hand signals and extreme road positioning to indicate my intentions but I've just installed the flashing festoons in my mine and am moderately impressed.

They are at least as bright as the original bulbs although I think I would have designed them for excessive brightness. They are also a little fiddly to fit as the connector ends on my festoons are a slightly smaller diameter so the LED versions do not move as freely within the orange plastic arm and need a little more assistance from the (spring loaded) lower connection to make reliable contact.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: