classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

LUCAS CW WIPER MOTOR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ronniej

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: LUCAS CW WIPER MOTOR Reply with quote

My Singer Roadster is fitted with a Lucas CW wiper motor.
This is the type that mounts directly to the windscreen and has two chromed levers coming out of it. To operate it you move one lever to switch it on and then turn the other until it engages the blades with the mechanism.
My problem is that while the motor works correctly the wipers will not remain engaged for more than half a dozen sweeps before it disconnects leaving the motor running without the blades moving.
Has anyone had any experience with this type of motor?
I would like some advice before I dismantle it.
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie,

There is a pin that goes through the wiper spindle and it has likely sheared. The chrome lever that you pull out has a slot in it that engages with the pin. If you remove the motor you can take the plate off that covers the gearbox and see what I'm talking about. There's not much to these motors so you should be able to fix it by replacing the pin. I would think that you should be able to find a 1/16" roll pin and use that.

Art
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: LUCAS CW WIPER MOTOR Reply with quote

Ronniej wrote:
To operate it you move one lever to switch it on and then turn the other until it engages the blades with the mechanism.

Ronnie,

Fully concur with Art—just take off the cover and all will be revealed.

However, presuming it's the same as or similar to the CWX that's probably on your Morris, I would comment that you seem to have the order of operation back to front. When not in use, with the left-hand lever in the OFF position (vertical), the right-hand lever attached to the wiper arm shaft should be pulled out and the arm/blade moved to the horizontal park position adjacent to the top of the windscreen frame. If it's set up correctly, the lever can then be released, at which point the pin at the end of the arm lever will fit neatly into the socket of the switch lever, thus...

Therefore, to activate the wiper from the park position, the arm lever must first be pulled out and swung into its normal operating arc on the screen, then the motor switched on, whereupon the drive will automatically engage with the shaft.

That said, if you have a second arm wiper connected by a link to the main one, that mechanism might prevent the blades being swung into the fully parked position.

I wouldn't mind a quid for every car I've seen with the wiper hanging down on the windscreen instead of being parked out of the way, presumably because the owner hasn't worked out how Joseph Lucas intended his creation should be operated.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: