classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Batteries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

The battery required for my 1950 Commer is 12v 63 amp hour. I have phoned round and these are quite expensive compared to 12v 90 amp hour commercial batteries.

Is there any reason not to use a 90 amp hour battery?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any size battery you can accomodate as long as it is the same voltage, though going smaller is not a good idea normally. Too small and the starter motor load may be too much for it.
Obviously a larger battery will hold more power, but if your system takes too long to charge it you may have less voltage available after a longish discharge and hence slightly dimmer lights possibly while the voltage is building up again.
Jim.

P.S. I have been running my 2 litre "special" on batteries intended for a 1300cc car for 30 years and a six figure mileage. Simply because there is not room under the Bonnet for a bigger one. Of course I have had several, but none have ever failed or been damaged timewise. In fact my current one was fitted in 2009. And is causing me no problems, though I am aware that its capacity is now falling. Hardly surprising though?
Still good enough for day to day though.
Jim.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I needed a battery for the Singer I measured the maximum size the battery tray could accommodate and then went to the local friendly factors and bought the best/biggest/most reasonable battery I could.

Went for a Varta.

Also, as it looked a bit too modern, I gave it that retro look..Not great from a warrety point of view but as long as I get a couple of years I will be happy.

Kev
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev

Saw this the first time you posted it, its brilliant Smile

Dave
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Kev

Saw this the first time you posted it, its brilliant Smile

Dave

Thanks Dave, saves a fortune over a proper lucas make and probably a bit more reliable?

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: