classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spokes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Spokes Reply with quote

I have just rebuilt the rear wheel on the Morgan, replacing all the spokes with a heavier spoke, as whilst we were away on holiday in Shetland(my missus said she wanted to go overseas, so I felt only duty bound to comply), I found on one of the normal morning checks there were a couple broken and swopped the wheel for the spare.
Anyway, I did not strip the wheel completely, but cut a couple, replace them and worked around the wheel like that. I placed the wheel on the front hub, spun it up against a DTI, and got it true to within a few thou, but my question is, how tight do the spokes need to be, I tightened them all a similar amount, and checked them as I once scrutineerd, tapping them until the familiar 'ring' was consistent, but is there a more professional way?

Better three than four.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer and the permissible tension probably depends on the material and thickness of the individual spokes but I would just try tapping the spokes on a few other wheels.

I may say that I'm not really a good person to give advice on this as I'm for ever replacing broken spokes.

Peter Laughing
Rosco663

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Ka,

To date I have respoked 4 wheels on the Morris, so I know enough to be dangerous Cool.

The wheels I have exhibited numerous severely corroded, cracked or broken spokes. And following some good advice replaced them all with new manufatured items of the correct original size.

One vendor suggested that I go for stronger spokes of larger diameter, this is because he was carrying the stock. This would have required drilling out (dead centre) all of the hubs and rims, which I was not prepared, or willing, to do. So I did the necessary research and located a reputable supplier in Birmingham to knock up a set for me, ( I sent over some of my best old ones as samples - which they returned to me) including new spoke nipples of the correct size.

There are some excellent vidoes on Youtube showing how to respoke, true and tension wheel spokes, some guys go so far as to use a small spoke torque wrench to achieve constant tension (mainly competition Motocross types).

I however used the "ring tone" method. If all your existing spokes seem to be in good condition you could use this method. But you also need to realise there is a reason for broken spokes and this will also need to be addressed.

To see the method in my madness checkout my Morris 8/40 thread.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Cheers
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as getting even tensions you also need to get the rim to be central and to run true (not snake fashion).

See: http://www.scottpeter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/New%20page%2020.htm

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: