classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Connecting up a wiper vacuum tank on 103E.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Connecting up a wiper vacuum tank on 103E..... Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am at the connecting up stage.....having located the tank already.

Question: I have acquired the 3 way valve to enable the tank to be fitted and am not sure entirely what goes where.

I can figure out that the connection that bolts to the bulkhead goes to the wiper, leaving one to go to the tank and one to the manifold. The larger of these two connecting pipes appears to have some sort of one way valve arrange arrangement inbuilt. ( It allows me to suck through it but not blow). The other two pipes have no such valve.

So not wanting to get them the wrong way round, please if you have a tank fitted, just describe what you see.

Stuart
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to speak to someone with an E493A Prefect, as AFAIK the Prefect had the vacuum tank as standard, whereas the 103E (and E83W) did not but were often retro-fitted.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, but logic would say that the one-way valve connection would be to the manifold, to ensure that when the manifold is not under negative pressure, the tank will not drain, or stabilise pressure back through to the manifold. This will give a slight plenum chamber effect where the wipers will still sweep until the tank is empty even if the engine is not running, and also stabilise the wipers when the manifold is under a lower pressure, e.g., when accelerating.
Hope this helps.

Better three than four.
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: 103e wipers Reply with quote

Stuart,

I've sent you an email.

Regards.

John (flywheel)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: