classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Molyslip in Steering Boxes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Molyslip in Steering Boxes Reply with quote

People have all sorts of idea about oils and additives and no way of proving the benefits are more than psychological. However I have a friend who rebuilds steering boxes, mostly for Morgans and TRs, but others as well and he can feel feel a difference between just oil and oil plus Molyslip in a new box on his test stand.

I have a TR3A and one of his rebuilt boxes in it and, as anyone who's driven one will tell you, they have murderously heavy steering, so I've bought a tube of Moly and added about a teaspoon full and I'm pretty sure it has made a worthwhile difference, one that was much needed. Steering is altogether smoother.

Therefore if you have an old car with heavy steering I recommend it. I seem to remember that Morris 8s were bad and Derby Bentleys can actually stick, so hopefully this is a useful tip.

Ash
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaping to the defence of the Morris 8, definitely not guilty! Steering very manageable compared with heavier cars, and I'm no Mr. Universe—quite the contrary.

Overhauled the steering box 18 years ago and filled with Penrite Steering Lube, a semi-fluid grease that should be heated before applying to flow better and avoid air pockets. Haven't touched it since. No doubt the product contains moly-type additives.

Richard

Last edited by goneps on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that, but I have a MKVI which seems heavy to drive compared to moderns, but actually isn't except in supermarket car parks. Therefore when I was offered a chance to drive an A35 I was shocked at how heavy and cumbersome it was after the Bentley, so you do get a better car for ten times the price. Women were very strong in the fifties. Wink
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
Women were very strong in the fifties. Wink

And in later decades. In the days before power steering became standard gear on everything, small Jap FWD cars took a lot of beating for heavy steering, and usually combined it with a distinctly unimpressive turning circle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: