classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was member 22 of that club for years, but I gave up eventually it was very clique. You are correct you can only go on their forum if you pay a membership, which makes it even more clique IMO. As you know you can search on their old forum still but no doubt that will disappear eventually.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to ask Rick Very Happy
I was back in the garage this evening doing a proper job on one of the front hub bearings which has been loosely assembled with dirty grease for several years.
I had to move the car which still hasn't even got a handbrake which was a bit hairy. I have one more handbrake mechanism to strip and then once some new brake springs arrive I think that's it for parts and serious restoration.
Who's cheapest or best to supply parts in UK because I am finding delivery is over a week from the continent.?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started this restoration I refused to be drawn into doing any mechanical work. I did the worst first which leaves me , at the very end fiddling about with some very basic mechanics. here is the rear brake drum which is attached by four M12 setscrews. These are very tight so I try to remember to loosen them whilst the wheel is still on the ground to give some resistance and stability.
BRA_7888 by peterthompson, on Flickr
Taking off the brake shoes is fiddly but stress free since all the bits are being replaced.
BRA_7892 by peterthompson, on Flickr
The handbrake mechanism is seized and the cylinder setscrews really corroded in but with a lot of determination everything is out.
BRA_7893 by peterthompson, on Flickr BRA_7895 by peterthompson, on Flickr
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH inside mine wasn't a lot better, but everything was still functioning. My drums needed a bit of persuasion to come off as the drums had seized over the years. Good luck with the shoe springs they drove me batty and lots of grazed knuckles.

I have never ordered anything from any UK suppliers by post as I have Ricambio down the road. But they are very expensive in comparison to Europe.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. I must admit the price difference has made my question academic. So the parts will be jetting in from Germany.
I do get the impression from the descriptions that many of Ricambio's parts are either genuine or better quality than some othet companies.
At least the repro tyres from Holland were good quality although I didn't realise that they weren't Pirelli. They are Cinturatos but apparently not made by Pirelli but possibly by a Turkish factory.
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Thanks Tony. I must admit the price difference has made my question academic. So the parts will be jetting in from Germany.
I do get the impression from the descriptions that many of Ricambio's parts are either genuine or better quality than some othet companies.
At least the repro tyres from Holland were good quality although I didn't realise that they weren't Pirelli. They are Cinturatos but apparently not made by Pirelli but possibly by a Turkish factory.

Franco at Ricambio is a top guy and I always seem to spend hours in there chatting. He knows everyone in the 500 world in the UK.

He did say to me that he only bought the best and a lot of the European companies just buy the cheapest they can get their hands on. He does regular trips to Italy with his family as he still has a huge family over there and a lot of the time he scouting around for second hand Fiat parts, not only does he have a shop stacked floor to ceiling with spares but he also has a warehouse full of second hand parts.

Those tyres must be Pirelli I can't see how another company would be allowed to make something with the same name"?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres do get made under licence or moulds can be sold when the original manufacturer finds it uneconomical to continue. I realise that manufacturing is international with many tyres since my modern car has "identical" Michelin tyres made in different countries; one of them comes with a deeper tread!
BRA_7914 by peterthompson, on Flickr
But the new Cints do not have the embossed name "Pirelli" on them, unlike the originals, which, although not conclusive, seems odd if that's what they are; the tread pattern is almost the same.
BRA_7916 by peterthompson, on Flickr
They do look taller and narrower but i think that changes when fitted on the rim and inflated.
BRA_7915 by peterthompson, on Flickr
The make seems to be "Formula" but I can't find them on Google.
All of the existing tubes on my car are also Pirelli and have that old slogan "British Made" printed on them. I was going to buy new ones but even the local tyre fitters suggested re-using, so where possible I am doing for now.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

My 1961 Peugeot D4B (now sold) still has the same old inner tubes which were in it when it arrived here from France, and they are at least 30 years old.... never caused me a problem and never even needed inflating! Held their pressure faultlessly for the 4 years I owned it....

Cheers Steve
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had to replace one tube after all.
Tomorrow I plan to finish all the remaining jobs including bleeding brakes then the wee guy should be ready to fly.
It will just leave the niggle with non charging dynamo.
Heres one of the Ebay photos that originally persuaded me to buy him.

454b_1 by
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:

454b_1 by

Come a VERY long way since then Cool Cool Cool Cool
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the car have come a very long way in 5 years!
I can't help thinking that we've swapped places though.
Now I'm the one with a useless spare tyre who looks a bit frayed at the edges Confused
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few shots to show how things are going.
Car complete with grease marks etc and a few touch-up bits needed doing. Still not polished.
At least it looks like a car and drives out of the garage. Very Happy
I'll get a proper set done after the MOT maybe a couple of weeks away.
Main target still brakes but i bought a pressure bleeding kit so that should take care of the car's notoriously awkward brake bleeding issues.
BRA_7967 by peterthompson, on Flickr
BRA_7965 by peterthompson, on Flickr
BRA_7963 by peterthompson, on Flickr
BRA_7962 by peterthompson, on Flickr
BRA_7960 by peterthompson, on Flickr
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Peter, "MURPHIO" is looking fantastic, an excellent job of which I have thoroughly enjoyed following, not long now. Cool Cool Steve
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks gorgeous, bet you cant wait to hit the open road

Kev
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks brilliant Peter. You have done an amazing job on MURPHIO considering how close to visiting the great scrapyard in the sky he came. You must be really chuffed and rightly so.

Are they the original bumpers? Steering wheel and speedo look like they cleaned up well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 41 of 58

Jump to: