classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Clocking - still a big problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Clocking - still a big problem? Reply with quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-2753213/Rise-fraudsters-tampering-car-mileage-make-criminal.html

Has anyone here been at the receiving end of buying a "clocked" modern?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I have been a victim, but I'd imagine it would be far easier these days, odometers are electronic so simpler and quicker to change and a modern car that has covered 150 k won't feel much different to most folk than a car that has covered 50 k Shocked

Dave
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only the speedo mileage, that needs altering, for instance it's also the ignition, steering wheel ecu and air bag info that need changing. Personally I think there is to much emphasis put on mileage, it's much better to buy on condition. I know of a mercedes e320 taxi that has done over 350,000 miles it's always serviced on time and all repairs done as required. And it drives almost like new.

Morris 8 two seater
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
It's not only the speedo mileage, that needs altering, for instance it's also the ignition, steering wheel ecu and air bag info that need changing. Personally I think there is to much emphasis put on mileage, it's much better to buy on condition. I know of a mercedes e320 taxi that has done over 350,000 miles it's always serviced on time and all repairs done as required. And it drives almost like new.

Not too sure why airbag or ecu versions are relevant ? As most punters wont be able to read the version, and concept to a year?

agree about the E class mercs, they represent about 80% of taxis in the Canaries, where they are bought new and then run for 20+years!!!!!

Cheers Dave
alanb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given to understand that the mileage is part of the data shared between the instrument panel, safety modules, ignition etc. and if it does not match then it does not work? Hence why you have to have such items coded by the main dealers when you need replacements.?

Morris 8 two seater
michael1703

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mot certificate will show the mileage at the 3 previous MOTs though
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I've told this story before, but it is a good one, and true!
Way back in the mid sixties, newly wed, and short of money, my boss offered me a "bit extra" to clock a few sales cars. Dead easy in those days, so I went for it.
I did quite a few, usually cars bought at auction for resale, but one sticks in my mind, as it was the MDs company Ford Zodiac, about twelve months old which he had had for about six months. It was showing 47,000miles, an awful lot for a one year old car in those far - off times, and he asked me to knock off 20k. No problem, except that when I got the speedo apart someone had written "Oh no, not again" inside it! Surprised
I often wonder just how many miles that Zodiac had done, because it was a sweet car to drive.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Forgive me if I've told this story before, but it is a good one, and true!
Way back in the mid sixties, newly wed, and short of money, my boss offered me a "bit extra" to clock a few sales cars. Dead easy in those days, so I went for it.
I did quite a few, usually cars bought at auction for resale, but one sticks in my mind, as it was the MDs company Ford Zodiac, about twelve months old which he had had for about six months. It was showing 47,000miles, an awful lot for a one year old car in those far - off times, and he asked me to knock off 20k. No problem, except that when I got the speedo apart someone had written "Oh no, not again" inside it! Surprised
I often wonder just how many miles that Zodiac had done, because it was a sweet car to drive.

Just before I was working for Ford Europe, mid 60s, Ford with Firestone and Castrol, I think, carried out extended road testing on the newish M1; adjudicated and watched by the RAC.

They used two cars: Zephyr and Zodiac, last of the Mk IIs.

This must have been the most boring job ever! teams of drivers hacked up and down the M1, turning round at each end and going back.

Cars were stopped only for scheduled oil/filter changes and tyre changes.

One covered circa 96,000 and the other circa 105,000. No speed limit then, boys; whoopee!

At the end of the tests, both engines were stripped down to component parts, again, scrutinised by RAC.

One engine needed a valve grinding in: the other, nothing!

A "Motorway Car" as we used to call them, which has covered a very high mileage, mainly in top gear and always working at proper temperature will basically last for ever.

My car sales side (located in a very upmarket residential area) used to service, repair and take in chop, cars from the archetypal little old ladies.

At less than 15,000 miles they were wrecks!

I have personally purchased and run for myself many high mileage cars over the years: if it drives sweetly and straight, then it is normally fine.

Yet a Mini-Clubman my manager once took in chop - foolishly - turned out to have been an ex-driving school car. The owner registered it privately in his own name.... not even very high mileage.

Trader chum once bought a high mileage Renault at auction (170,000) and traded the car at a profit.......

A week or so later another trader called around and tried to sell him this "lovely Renault!" With 45,000 on the clock.

If you know a bit about cars and you cannot tell a nice car from a dog, and are blinded by "low" mileage, well learn a wee bit more!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We change cars at 150 k or 4 years...in my firm about 2000 cars a year fall into this category,.

I have no evidence but I'd wager that the 2-3 year old cars that hit a high milage will be prime for a clocking;

1) no previous MOT's
2) as old wrench comments, a car driven on motorways for most of its life will have a load less wear.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: