classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1985 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3 Reply with quote

I didn't want another car really, least of all another project! This was about to be turned over to the banger boys after finding no takers. I couldn't allow that to happen, especially if it was as tidy as the seller said it was. So, I took at trip over to Chesterfield in my Series 1 to view this on Thursday.

It's a 3.4, bottom end ruined and it has a very rough interior. The body is rock solid in all the XJ6 rot spots after going over it with a magnet. She isn't matching numbers so initial plans are to get it back on the road with a 4.2 engine on 2" SU's. I am considering keeping the Series 1 as it is and converting this to an AJ6 engine and 4 speed auto in the future. It's getting trailered here on Friday so more updates as I start work.

Will

1972 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 Series 1
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
XL391

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's arrived. It turned up on Friday morning at 1am after being trailered over from Chesterfield. First job was a quick scan over it to see what was missing or what needs attention. Body wise, it's very tidy for its age, the only area of concern being the rear valance around the exhaust holes. The underneath just needs a good scrub and undersealing again.

The interior is a different story altogether...

All seats are ripped and torn beyond repair but I've managed to locate a full interior out of a V12 Sovereign that's been in storage for a few years after the car was broken up. It'll need a walnut dash to finish though.

The engine is bladder end. I haven't tried to start it as I don't see the point. I've dropped the oil and coolant ready for its removal in the next week or so for a 4.2 running 2" SU's. I am considering an AJ6 swap, anyone done that with one of these?

Anyway, a few shameless pics with my Series 1...

More soon...

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed your first post for some reason, good save, looks much too nice to smash up on a banger track.

Am I right in thinking that the SIII 3.4s were on carbs from new?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
XL391

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in good shape Rick. There are a few minor bubbles around the LH headlight but nothing that's too far gone. The 3.4's were carbs, yes. Think they were HIF7's?

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after unearthing a few nasty surprises, this has now turned into something bigger than an engine swap and some interior titivation! I hadade a good start stripping the car down for engine and interior removal.

I was underneath removing the prop bolts when I was pulling myself back from under the car using the passenger sill as support and my finger disappeared through it.

Of course I continued to dig after this, quite shocked at the outcome, this pic was taken from the pilots seat looking at the left hand sill. The pictures don't really do the corrosion justice to be honest, the inner sill, outer sill and floor pan are joined together by good old fresh air. It saves weight but its not that strong I believe...

From the outside you wouldn't know any different...

It's my own fault, I've checked the drivers side and the rear of the passenger side sill before looking at something else and just assuming that it'd be alright. The signs were clearly there that something was amiss, really surprised it had an MOT...

I'm going to check the rest of the car over and weigh it all up and decide if its worth the time and expense, which is what I should've done before buying it! I refuse to bodge it up, it'll get done properly or not at all.

A lesson learnt there...

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the wing off and had a good old prod about and found a few more areas that need attention. The front crossmember is holed on the left hand side inside the wing at the front, the footwell/brace board above the sill end cap is holed and so is the inner wing itself. All repairable and there's lots of good metal to weld to as well. I'm gonna check the rest of the car out before starting work and if all's well I'm going to do it myself as the only complex part to make will be the outer sill repair section.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart car and probably worth persevering with, especially if it's good around the screens, which can be a rot spot on the SIIIs. At least this way you'll know the sills etc have been done properly and not just cobbled up, which may happen if you go looking at other superficially nice cars.

RJ
XL391

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit more digging and, er...

I thought the sill end cap made from mastic, sealer, filler and rust was particularly creative! Smile

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
XL391

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Can't believe it's been 7 months since the last update and nothing much has happened with the old girl. Shoved into a corner and largely forgotten about.

In November I bought an injected 4.2 to replace the knackered 3.4. These XK's have the big valve head, same size as the D-Type. I was going to bin the injection manifold, as the 3.4 uses carbs and doesn't have fuel tanks or pump for an injection system, and strap a pair of SU HS8s on the side of it like my Series 1.

But after doing some thinking I thought it'd be a bit pointless to have the same running gear, same performance in what is essentially the same car. So, after a load of beer I decided to but one of these...

It's a 3.6 litre AJ6 as used in the XJS and XJ40. Out of the factory they were 220bhp and 240lb/ft which is more than the dear old XK would've produced. I also got the 4 speed ZF 'box as well to go with it, 4th gear should make it far more relaxed at motorway speeds. I'm on the hunt now for XJS engine and gearbox mounts and a radiator. Unsure yet whether to go with XJS or XJ40 for this. I'll also need to go to injection tanks and pumps and sort a whole load of other details out but I think it'll make for a more interesting car at the end of it. The conversion has been done a few times and I believe that they are great to drive if done well. I've also found an interior out of a Sovereign which is the same colour as the damaged one.

Before all the fun and games of the engine swap though, I have to contend with the tin worm. Metal cutting, bashing and joining should start the end of this week and there's quite a bit to do to add to more that I've found. Not as bad as what's shown previously though!

Has anyone on here done the AJ6 conversion by the way? If so, I'd love to hear from you regarding potential pitfalls or if you have any tips. Thanks for reading!

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, I was more than a little tempted by a SIII not long ago, finished in the mid-green metallic they came in. Fortunately common sense prevailed, I'll make do with following the progress of yours for now Smile

RJ
XL391

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update. Work has finally started (only took a year...) by cutting out the rotten floor section and inner sill and getting a new piece in there. I found more corrosion next to the transmission tunnel but it should be nothing compared to repairing this little lot!

More soon...

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Will,

If you need a bonnet for your S1, there's a pile of NOS ones at this weekend's autojumble sale in Prees, at the former Furber's scrapyard. Plus a few NOS door shells that I also spotted Smile

RJ
XL391

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have parted company with the black S3. The previous owner of her made me a very good offer so the other week I decided to accept and last week she made her way back to Derbyshire. After briefly flirting with two Mk1 Triumph 2000's (love them) I have decided to divert all my attention and cash towards my Sunbeam Tiger.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: