classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1934 Austin 10/4 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
SpiggyTopes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely,

What's the engine like?
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
What are the chrome fittings at the top of the rear panel either side of the spare wheel?

I can't see the wheel and panel being able to open from either top or bottom so surely they aren't hinges or catches.

Hi Penman.

I "googled" Austin 10/4 images and it shows a number of vehicles with the boot extension as shown. Some models show the spare wheel stored inside the extension with the boot lid hinged at the bottom.
Looking at other images it looks as if the spare wheel and number plate are both attached to the boot lid and the whole assembly would be capable of hinging upwards. Hopefully the OP on OCC will enlighten us.

Regards

Peter

edited four grammer bad.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Colwyn, a year younger, has the spare under that rear cover. It hinges at the bottom and there are two chome covers which flip up to reveal holes through to simple catches operated by a square coach key.
Come on Ian, you have an audience here waiting. Smile
IanS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
What are the chrome fittings at the top of the rear panel either side of the spare wheel?

I can't see the wheel and panel being able to open from either top or bottom so surely they aren't hinges or catches.

The chrome bits are the locks for the boot. I have the key too. The whole back panel then hinges down, but the wood panel inside where the hinges fit is disintegrated.
IanS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha well... thanks for the advice, the engine having not been started since 66 as far as I know has no compression. This could be valves stuck open, crank or pistons broken, rings broken.. At the end of the day I'm not too bothered at the moment as its gotta all come apart and be rebuilt. The cases look solid which is the important thing.
The body will have to come off as the chassis has corroded badly in one small area behind the drivers door causing a slight sag.
Otherwise theres the solid brake connections and rusted boot bottom not to mention the soft top to sort out.. hahaha it will keep me busy for a while.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: