classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

clutch problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
dumper man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: clutch problems Reply with quote

hi all,

i have a 2 tone thwaites dumper that im restoring. im having trouble getting the clutch off its shaft and need some help with the matter. the clutch and gearbox are the same type as in the post on this forum "My Thwaites Orion dumper, caution, picture heavy!" by julian. i cant seem to get in touch with julian to ask his advice so if anyone knows their way round these clutches or knows how i could get in touch with julian i would greatly appreciate your help.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about dumpers so please excuse if I'm teaching granny but the clutch looks to be a fairly normal rod operated drum brake assembly.You need to unscrew the adjuster fully to back the shoes off. The adjuster is at the bottom of the picture.

If you've already done that then it's possible that the linings have rusted themselves onto the drum. The usual treatment for that is to whack the drum all over with a heavy hammer but you would need to have someone disengaging the clutch at the same time.

Clearly the backplate and shoe assembly can only be withdrawn from the drum whilst the operating rod is being pulled.

Peter

welder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dumper Man, welcome to this cracking forum.

I used to be a plant fitter many years ago and looked after a hire fleet of Thwaites dumpers, amongst other machinery. Everything stated/suggested by Peter Scott is bang-on the money, right down to the application of Newtons via a large hammer.

Once you've got everything apart you'll realise that the clutch is bum-basic with virtually nothing to go wrong which, indeed, they almost never did.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: