classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Which type of alarm sensor to use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Which type of alarm sensor to use? Reply with quote

I'll be adding an alarm as part of my rewiring and wondering which type of alarm sensor to use. I've had no luck with microwave sensors in the past, if I set the sensitivity higher I get false alarms, set it low and I need to wave my arms and punch the air to set it off. Never could find a decent balance point, even after upgrading to a decent branded sensor. I'm wondering if ultrasonic sensors are any better?

Might not bother with a sensor at all, I'm mostly just in it for the remote central locking and there's already an immobiliser in there. It's just that after my microwave sensor experiences I'm wondering if ultrasonic is any better at all.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all really depends on what and how you are aiming to protect.

Perimeter Detection (Micro-Switches) on doors, boot/tailgate, bonnet are the foundation of any decent alarm system.

Spacial Protection, can use Ultra Sound (Ultrasonic), Microwave and/or PIR (Passive Infrared): the first two rely on the Doppler Effect. A wave propagated, returns at a different speed.

PIR detects a change in ambient temperature, emanating from the intruder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_alarm#Ultrasonic_detectors

In order to achieve the highest possible level of true event threat detection and a simultaneous high level of false trigger event rejection, means significant cost.

The lower end microwave and ultrasonic detectors suffer from cheaper components and poor design, which is why they also suffer from high levels of false trigger.

If you are really concerned at the risk of loosing your prized asset, then fit a tracker: indeed, insurance underwriters now invariably insist a tracker is covertly installed for risk values (and car types) above certain low value thresholds.

http://www.tracker.co.uk/for-your-vehicle/car-tracking/

http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk/stolen-vehicle-tracking.aspx
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackers are really quite cheap now and are very versatile. You can configure them to send you a text message when your vehicle shifts its position more than X feet and to continue texting its current position. You can also send it a text to control some aspect of your vehicle. e.g. lock the doors, immobilise it or perhaps sound a siren.

They work on GPS and so if your vehicle is now located in the robbers' premises you can know where it is within a reasonable radius but asking it to sound a siren when you get there might help to pin-point the exact location.

There is no need for periodic costs other than a pay as you go SIM card and this costs virtually nothing with GiffGaff.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=139838&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtk103&_nkw=tk103&_sacat=139838
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went shopping in Sainsburys a few days ago I was given a voucher for a free PAYG sim and £10 top up - it's going to be used for precisely this purpose.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
rcx822

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Wrench wrote:
Perimeter Detection (Micro-Switches) on doors, boot/tailgate, bonnet are the foundation of any decent alarm system.

Is it ok to use the original door switches to achieve this? I've got a bonnet switch to fit also.

Old Wrench wrote:
In order to achieve the highest possible level of true event threat detection and a simultaneous high level of false trigger event rejection, means significant cost.

Do you know what sort of cost? I paid £30 for a Falcon microwave sensor.

Old Wrench wrote:
If you are really concerned at the risk of loosing your prized asset, then fit a tracker: indeed, insurance underwriters now invariably insist a tracker is covertly installed for risk values (and car types) above certain low value thresholds.

Whats the advantage of the "professional" type trackers which have a high subscription fee, over the Chinese eBay type like the TK102 that Peter has linked to, or the famously cheap and popular Xexun which just takes a SIM card?

I already have a Xexun fitted, it's very small, cheap, Chinese design. The hardware is good but the software is flaky. It has a built in Li-Ion battery but it only lasts a few days which is a problem for a car like mine which gets used once a week. I have it connected to a charger but the charger only charges when the ignition is on, otherwise it will kill my main battery. When the ignition is off it runs off it's internal battery for a few days then dies. Not sure how to improve on this. Old Wrench has linked to the Cobra tracker. I know Cobra and their systems are affordable and solid, but they still want a subscription of approx £150/year.

Also, anyone know how thieves disable these trackers? My client had a van with a tracker stolen. It was driven to a field and then went offline very quickly never to be seen again. My tracker is well hidden but maybe they don't need to find it to disable it?
rcx822

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fitted the alarm and it just relies on the door switches. My objective was to get remote central locking and that's built into the alarm module, so objective met. Until I find a decent sensor that is both sensitive enough and doesn't give false positives I will go without.

I've done some reading on trackers. The commercial trackers also rely on GPS to get location and GPRS to report back to base. So in theory there's no advantage over a self installed SIM card tracker. And £200 gets you a detector or blocker to both locate the tracker and disable it, so it's not as secure as you may think. Still, a thief might think twice if there's a tracker even if he knows about it. Maybe the solution then is to place the tracker in a location that they won't be able to access it, even once it's been located. They've found the tracker but can't get at it... tricky but that might be the answer to GPS detectors.

I've used two trackers, both low cost, self install, and very popular on ebay. One was the Xexun TK103 designed for cars and the other the TK102 which is a personal/universal tracker. The one designed for cars has an external GPS antenna and GPRS antenna, and can be triggered by the alarm. But this relies on a decent alarm. The other features like engine immobilisation, ability to listen and take photos are just not worth it. So this time I'm sticking with the smaller and simpler TK102 which is tiny and only requires a power feed. It in turn doesn't have an alarm trigger, but can be set up to notify you if the location changes.

These home install trackers really need to be used with decent software, communicating by SMS is tedious. The best I've found so far is gps-trace.com, which can be set to alert you if the tracker starts moving. Not as good as an alarm alert because by that point the vehicle has been compromised and is on the move, plus you will get an alert each and every time the vehicle is legitimately moved. But will see how I get on with that.

PS for anyone considering a self install ebay tracker, just make sure it's an original Xexun. Half the trackers on eBay are Xexun fakes and are not as solid. And make sure it's the model that has an internal battery. Useless without that... all the TK102 have a battery, but only the later TK103 have one.

PPS the short battery life I reported on my tracker earlier in this post appears to be a faulty battery. It has given up totally now after years of use. New battery on it's way...
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx822 wrote:
Old Wrench wrote:

Firstly, RCX, my apologise for not responding earlier: it has been a very busy period and I have dived into the forum rather speedily, owing to scarcity of time!

Quote:
Is it ok to use the original door switches to achieve this? I've got a bonnet switch to fit also.

Many bottom end alarm systems do indeed use standard door courtesy light switches. personally I would not, as they are pretty agricultural!

I would use a decent micro-switch certified by such as UL (Underwriters Laboratories) for 10,000 + hours warranted operations.

Old Wrench wrote:

Quote:
Do you know what sort of cost? I paid £30 for a Falcon microwave sensor.

Again, personally I would not use any such detector in a car for spacial detection: normally a cheap easy route. Since:

i. They rely on Doppler Effect: and since a car has loads of glass around, this induces false triggers:

ii. Sporadic temperature gradients also cause false triggers.

Since to break into a car and steal it, a thief must, normally, open the bonnet and enter the cabin to actually drive it, then perimeter detection should suffice.

OK, Devil's Advocate time! They smash the glass and climb in through the window!

Why not fit a Volvo type seat switch? The ones which flash the seat belt light and sound a buzzer until the seat belt is fastened?

After all the villain has to actually sit in the seat to drive the car!

One can go on and on: glass break detectors; vibration detectors; motion detectors. However, as buyers of cheap alarms found years back, high winds rocked the car and set off the alarms! Normally at 3-.00AM! The neighbours were not best pleased.........

Old Wrench wrote:

Quote:
Whats the advantage of the "professional" type trackers which have a high subscription fee, over the Chinese eBay type like the TK102 that Peter has linked to, or the famously cheap and popular Xexun which just takes a SIM card?

I already have a Xexun fitted, it's very small, cheap, Chinese design. The hardware is good but the software is flaky. It has a built in Li-Ion battery but it only lasts a few days which is a problem for a car like mine which gets used once a week. I have it connected to a charger but the charger only charges when the ignition is on, otherwise it will kill my main battery. When the ignition is off it runs off it's internal battery for a few days then dies. Not sure how to improve on this. Old Wrench has linked to the Cobra tracker. I know Cobra and their systems are affordable and solid, but they still want a subscription of approx £150/year.

Also, anyone know how thieves disable these trackers? My client had a van with a tracker stolen. It was driven to a field and then went offline very quickly never to be seen again. My tracker is well hidden but maybe they don't need to find it to disable it?

If using cellular comms, then obviously ( as you state in your later post), a thief can simply block the signal.

In any case, if someone really wants your vehicle, then they will get it!

I well remember some years back, Ford proudly boasting, that working with Thatcham (MIRA) they had developed an alarm that was unbeatable!

This so incensed a clever electronics consulting engineer, he researched Ford's new system, and sat down a designed The Grabber!

I saw film of the guy in top West End showrooms, showing how he could defeat the alarms and immobilisers of Lambos, Ferraris et al and completely ruining the salesmen's day!

How did it work? The alarm keypads transmitted a digital scrambled RF signal unique to each car, N millions codes. He simply set the Grabber to receive and captured the scrambled RF signal: and then later, from memory, retransmitted the stored sequence and the alarms turned off! And the doors opened etc......

Build a missile: the enemy builds an anti-missile. Build an antimissile Missile; and the enemy builds an anti-missile missile missile!

Villains nicking top end cars, even winch them into shipping containers which have been lined with ally foil to screen any RF output.

And off they go to Dubai..........which has more "Chop Shops" than anywhere else.
rcx822

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered what had happened to you Old Wrench.

It's a relief to hear that explanation of how perimeter switches are effective, I really had enough of trying internal sensors.

With the microswitches, fancy saving me doing the online searches and linking to one you've used?

My approach for now will be to experiment a bit more with the little Xexun, to see how reliable and consistent it is when used with an online service like GPS-Trace.com and later I may upgrade to a tracker with SMS notification of an alarm trigger. I do also think there's some scope in making the tracker difficult to access.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide choice.

Start with say Rapid Online and something like this:

http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/cherry-gptcnd01-microswitch-spdt-15a-250v-ac-light-force-overtravel-button-screw-50-2688

Also search Farnell, Maplin and all the usual suspects!
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We owned a shop in Lowestoft,we spent money on all sorts of alarms and security devices yet had stock stolen and cars/vans broken into.
We then used this

never had another problem.
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow he looks sweet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: