classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were those bits from EBay the ones which had a Fiat badge in the pictures?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be behind everyone else on the charging thing.
The DVSA man has obviously seen the car and it's plates, logbook etc., but doesn't have the authority to fill in the V765 for me.
So random number first..fingers crossed etc.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:

Don't tell me! You were bidding too? Sean missed on the heater flap he needs but I have a chance to buy the other one if he wants it.
We should have got together with a "plan"
Someone really wanted the steering box given the price it went for, but getting a starter for less than a fiver seems a bargain to me.
The seller is very reasonable and combined postage even after I had won the items.
I am also going up to see if I can buy the remains of a dismantled 126 at a garage north of here.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
vitesse wrote:

Don't tell me! You were bidding too? Sean missed on the heater flap he needs but I have a chance to buy the other one if he wants it.
We should have got together with a "plan"
Someone really wanted the steering box given the price it went for, but getting a starter for less than a fiver seems a bargain to me.
The seller is very reasonable and combined postage even after I had won the items.
I am also going up to see if I can buy the remains of a dismantled 126 at a garage north of here.

No I didn't bid on any of them as I thought I didn't really need any of them but the guy selling them was really close to me over by Brands Hatch.

I didnt realise there was anywhere North of you. Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphio has decided to adopt his Grandfather Salvatore's name.
The reason is that he has now been designated as SVR 543H.
Not such a bad number or name and since I still have had no luck with reclaiming his original number I'm just going to be grateful and get on with using him.
I want some reasonable looking plates so I am going to get pressed aluminium ones as he has already, in reflective yellow and white.
So you can expect photos of him soon as he starts to venture out further afield in Scotland.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Salvatore Cool Cool
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he's a happy car. the cruel irony is, plates arrived, taxed, insured and ready to roll on a beautiful winter's day and doh! Waiting for new drive couplings as with the bearings being renewed, this is a good time to get at them. Immobilised in the garage. Sad

BRA_9546 by peterthompson, on Flickr
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is looking very handsome indeed. Nice day here too but decided as the roads are damp and the Singer is dry and tucked up, I would leave her snooze.
Shame about the original number but I like the number you have been allocated :0)

Kev
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really shiny!!!!!!!

I like the black border on those plates? Does the front have the same?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the shine is a trick of the light because it's really ready for a bit of dust down and polish. Smile
The front plate has the same border but obviously isn't square. The newer letters and digits are very slightly smaller than the old and spacing rules mean that the number on both plates doesn't run right to the edges, which annoys me. The originals have riveted on letters but I didn't want to splash out too much as this is a temporary measure. They are pressed aluminium to regulation spec. with reflective background and raised, embossed lettering.
They do look the part but on the front had to use the double sided tabs which were included as if I had used the origjnal holes in the bodywork I would have had to put holes through the letters.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update; rear bearings replaced , not without some trauma. This has removed a slight wander in the steering and removed some occasional odd noises from the rear. so the car really drives beautifully now. i think the MOT man must have been being very kind to me on that.

Despite the possibility of a bit of salt on the back roads today, I went to work in it I encountered a Morris Minor on the journey and we waved at each other:)
I'm still running it in so getting in the way of modern cars a little. Still, receive nothing but smiles and courtesy from everyone.

Great fun and makes it all so worthwhile.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming more like a diary.
I got called out to our holiday cottage today; a probem with the shower. Beautiful day, why not take the Fiat, or rather, let him take me.
So quite a few firsts:
* First full tank of petrol. Used super unleaded since prices are low. It does make a difference in " performance".
* Longest non-stop journey of 30 miles each way.
*Steepest hill; maybe 1 in 8. Not many signs up here..it's all hills!
*Longest continuous hill, maybe 2 miles at about 1 in 15.
*Furthest distance travelled from home.
* Longest distance by dual carriageway, 10 miles (we don't have motorways).
The car really is settled now and I feel it would take me anywhere. It is creeping up in speed so I stay at 45mph most of the time. It's capable of much more.
I think people miss out on the fun by avoiding classic winter driving. I have a very efficient heater roaring and the beautiful clear sunshine makes an ordinary journey into a fun day out.
I fixed the shower by the way. Photo of the car with it's increasing "patina" later.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! I am envious of your car and location now Wink
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like quite an adventure you are on Peter!

Interesting to hear about the super unleaded. I'll have to get some next time. How big is the tank btw? Any idea of what sort of MPG you are getting?

I can't take Luigi out as someone has dumped and old engine and gearbox in front of him. Twisted Evil
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRA_9641 by peterthompson, on Flickr

I meant to take the camera with me but will do each time from now on. there really are some nice sights to see round here when you plod along in a Fiat

I think the tank must be about 4 gallons and I will be able to work out approx. mileage this time. I'm coming up to 200 miles now and I think I had about 3 gallons in because my leak repairs were untested...no smell of petrol whatsoever in fact. It's going to be about 50 to the gallon but I have been like a snail most of the time.

by the way, more cr@ppy pattern parts...one of the wiper rubbers has split already! Been through ONE rainstorm...mind you , it WAS a storm.

Last edited by colwyn500 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 48 of 58

Jump to: