classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Synchro ring ball bearings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
alec.elliot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Synchro ring ball bearings Reply with quote

Hi Chaps and Chapesses.

So during the overhaul of a four speed Morris 8 Series E gearbox I took the synchro rings off the hub and managed to keep all of the ball bearings and springs held within. (Foolish lad I hear you say.)

My question....How do you get all of the little bleeders back in. I had a couple of attempts last night using a jubilee clip but I have now lost three of the 1/4" ball bearings somewhere around the garage.

Any other good ideas? I am sure I am not the first person to have faced this problem and wont be the last.

All the best

Alec
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec

Jubilee clip works for me without problems, I also put a dab of grease on each of the balls and springs to initially keep them in place, before the clip it fitted.

The clip needs to be large enough to fit round all the protruding ball bearings, and then simply tightened up to the point were the hub can slide over and keep everything in place.

Cheers

Dave
alec.elliot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I will give it another go.

Cheers

Alec
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and do it in a cloth or polythene bag. Then you don't need to look all over the workshop for the balls and springs if things go wrong.

Peter
alec.elliot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe it but after a quick search of the garage floor I was able to retrieve all of the balls and on the third attempt with a jubilee clip and a poly bag both rings are now back in place with a full complement of balls and springs.

Thanks for the help

Best regards

Alec
Farmer John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: M8 gbox Reply with quote

Hi Alec, I was impressed by your having saved a jubilee clip that was perfect for the task, as unlikely as it looked! As soon as I saw that clip I knew you would be successful.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: