classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1966 Fiat 500F Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
vitesse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
At that price it would have been stupid not to buy it. Good one.

Yeah the consensus of opinion I am getting is not to put it in Luigi, as it will ruin the originality, so I am not going to go down that route. I have always had this little niggling voice saying no!!!! But either way it's a clear investment if it runs. Plus it gives my tinkering mind something to play with.

I will bench test and tart it up a bit and decide from there, it may tempt me into getting another 500 bucket job and maybe go down that route for a restoration project.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be hard to justify the swap on practical grounds because everything is tickety boo at the moment and you would be risking some scratches and damage. But as swapping engines in a 500 is relatively a doddle and Luigi would be a great testbed for performance and as you are very careful and precise in your work, I would give it a go.
I wouldn't want to snip wires or do something irreversible so alternator and starter might be tricky and you would definitely be stripping the gearbox to fit new shafts if you wanted to try that out.
I reckon if you didn't have us lot nipping at you you would try it out at least.
Look at the way some cars get "pimped". Luigi would feel different but not really look different and you do have the ability to return it back to spec.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
It would be hard to justify the swap on practical grounds because everything is tickety boo at the moment and you would be risking some scratches and damage. But as swapping engines in a 500 is relatively a doddle and Luigi would be a great testbed for performance and as you are very careful and precise in your work, I would give it a go.
I wouldn't want to snip wires or do something irreversible so alternator and starter might be tricky and you would definitely be stripping the gearbox to fit new shafts if you wanted to try that out.
I reckon if you didn't have us lot nipping at you you would try it out at least.
Look at the way some cars get "pimped". Luigi would feel different but not really look different and you do have the ability to return it back to spec.

Yeah it would be nice to see the difference in performance, from what I can judge this 126 engine is probably between 96 and 2000 so it probably is quite a step up.

Early investigations that I have uncovered, suggest that I can get the engine in the car without too many mods or at least do some additional wiring to the existing loom without snipping. I need to provide some additional +'s any I am pretty confident I can use the bits I have to make an additional little loom for a test drive.
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a play with the new engine today. I just want to see if I could get the starter motor to turn the engine over and see if the electronic ignition would produce a spark.

The difference with this engine is that has a solenoid on the starter motor with is activated by a 12v supply from the ignition switch, so I rigged up an additional 12v supply. This goes to the spade connector on the solenoid and 12v from the battery goes on the right hand terminal in the picture below. I used a set of jump leads down from Luigi's battery and then tried putting the additional switched 12v supply on to the spade connector. But nothing just a lot of arcing and sparking. I took the starter motor out and bench tested it and again nothing. Sprayed a liberal amount of WD40 on the gears and bearings inside, spun it over by hand and it seemed to spin manually by hand ok. Bench tested again and success. So I stuck it back on the engine and took the plugs out and it spun the engine over nicely now and I had good compression out of the spark plug holes.

Rigged up a little test loom with a 12v supply for the electronic ignition and with the plugs out I turned over the engine again and was getting a spark on both plugs, it was a little weak but I this that is probably down to earthing and supply being a iffy, as it was getting late and I was running out of time.

I noticed the engine and gearbox both had stamps on indicating that they were built in 1997, so not very old at all really. I just need to get some fuel hose as I appear to have run out and then I should be able to perform the infamous bench test.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks brilliant Tony. All the Ignition components look very much like mine off the Cinquecento Sporting I had, with that TDC pickup and similar albeit half-sized coil-pack. It should be very reliable and the engine itself, on the face of it, looks unmolested.
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:
I will do Steve. It will probably be next year now though, so don't go selling it. Wink

Hi Tony, you know me too well! Have just advertised it for sale Embarassed
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
vitesse wrote:
I will do Steve. It will probably be next year now though, so don't go selling it. Wink

Hi Tony, you know me too well! Have just advertised it for sale Embarassed

Oh I have just read this Steve. Why?????
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To free up space and money for my next project ~ a series Land Rover hopefully!!
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
To free up space and money for my next project ~ a series Land Rover hopefully!!

Sad

I hope that meant to say "Series 1"

That will be fun.

I was thinking about selling my car...same reason. NO NOT THE FIAT Exclamation

I really have to get one of these campervans. Smile
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:

Sad

I hope that meant to say "Series 1"

That will be fun.

I was thinking about selling my car...same reason. NO NOT THE FIAT Exclamation

I really have to get one of these campervans. Smile
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We best stop diluting Tony's Fiat thread with this green oval stuff. Let's just leave it that at today's prices it's never gonna be a Series 1 !!
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok. I always wanted an ex forces air transportable short wheel base Land Rover, the one with square front wings. Probably because I used to drive them everyday when I was in the RAF. I actually fell out of the passenger door once whilst driving on the airfield, the door wasn't closed properly and I leaned on it as we were going around a corner and ended up disappearing and landing on the grass outside. Fortunately we weren't going too fast and no lasting damage was done. I think!!!!!!!

I also used to drive a Saracen with a preselect gearbox, I think that is a bit too big of a restoration project if I was to get one of them.

What camper van do you want Peter?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favoured campers are the Fiat 850 or 900 based versions called, Amigo, Pandora and Caravelle. They turn up on Ebay every couple of months and there's one on at the moment which is somewhat overpriced in my opinion.

Trouble is that I am a bit averse to welding up roof gutters and spraying bodywork after the last few years' slog.
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
My favoured campers are the Fiat 850 or 900 based versions called, Amigo, Pandora and Caravelle. They turn up on Ebay every couple of months and there's one on at the moment which is somewhat overpriced in my opinion.

Trouble is that I am a bit averse to welding up roof gutters and spraying bodywork after the last few years' slog.

Yeah just had a look on eBay, I assume it's the blue one. It does look over priced considering the condition it is in and not very well looked after either. Sounds like the guy has zero mechanical knowledge and just calls out the AA all the time! Which would put me off straight away considering he has had it 4 years and hardly ever moved it.
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tinker around with the new engine again today and managed to hugely increase the spark on both plugs, both spark plug gaps were virtually nonexistent, so I opened them up and hey presto much better. The simplest things.

The odd thing is if I turn the engine over using the starter motor I get a good spark as the engine rotates. If I try to do it manually by using a spanner on the alternator bolt and with all the electrics connected to a 12v supply I don't get any spark at the spark plugs, so it is impossible to manually setup.

So I have decided to just go for it tomorrow and see if I can get the thing to run. I would imagine that the timing would be roughly about right as all you can adjust is the pickup sensor next to the flywheel and there isn't a massive amount of adjustment. I have connected up the fuel lines, so hopefully I should get it running tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a new video. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 28 of 34

Jump to: