classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1933 Plymouth PDX Rumble Seat Coupe---Restoration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
z5roadster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: 1933 Plymouth PDX Rumble Seat Coupe---Restoration Reply with quote

This is a Detroit built car for a South African order so it was made right hand drive, when delivered it came with 1934 style wheels, steel artillery. The build card states that it was built between 6th/12th September 33, Chrysler Historical have most records from way back on microfiche. Build cards were a hand written production order.

This is thought to be soon after it's owners of 37 years had bought it new.

When it was found in 1970 by a vintage car enthusiast 500 miles from home, the gearbox had been removed for repair which meant no hand brake because these cars had the hand brake to the final drive on the box, hence the tyre on the bumper to reduce damage. I forgot to say that they had to tow it a couple of miles to a friends farm after doing the deal.

The reg is just visible as OB 106 I am told the 'O' is for Orange Free State and the 'B' for Bloemfontein.

So it eventually got trailered back to Durban by a young man in his twenties, just married and more pressing things to do than play with cars and he sold it on in 1977. It's then new owner started on a ground up restoration, the body and loose panel were removed, every thing was removed from the chassis and rebuilt to a very acceptable standard. The chap that found it bumped into him about 10 years after selling it and enquired how it was going, "just about to put new brake lines in". Turns out he was the mechanic part of this restoration because he then sold it on to a man that preferred bodywork.
These next photos were given to me by the person I bought it from.

In 2002 a keen motorcyclist took part in a rally in South Africa, got talking to locals and heard about a gentleman that was in need of parting with a couple of old car due to ill health, now they didn't know that this motorcyclist had a garage and workshop with storage for 20 cars above in North London, he filled a 40ft container with a 1929 Dodge in full working order, this Plymouth and an Austin Opel basket case. When back in England he sold the Austin straight away, stored the Plymouth and started to use the Dodge which he still runs today.

This brings us to December 12 when an eBay listing caught my eye, you know them 95% complete almost finished, I din't have time to view it so decided to email the seller asking him to get back to me if it didn't sell. So I bought it and 2 weeks later hired a beavertail to being it home.

Next I will add what I have done since buying it.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to reading more about the coupe, I particularly like the shape of the grille on this era of Plymouth and Dodge.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
z5roadster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I'll try and keep your attention. When I went to Enfield to collect the Coupe we lifted the body back on the chassis , hung the doors and loaded what we could into the cabin, less rattling about the for everyone. Something that had gone through my mind on the trip up at 54 MPH was trophy hunters so with that in mind I picked up a couple of holdalls and stowed what was loose in these and locked them in the cab of the truck.
So lets get started, the rolling chassis was pretty well sorted but had stood for 20 yrs or more but the rear of the body was rough and poorly repaired so that's where I start.

More to come later.

z5roadster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this back section quite a challenge, by trade I was a Plastic Mould Tool Maker, I did the lot from cutting the steel up to polishing the cavities, so getting it right by eye was very different, Around the rear section the body meets with the rear valance at approx 45°, but also the floor pan fixings are sandwiched between all I had to go by was the valance and the rear wings.

The coupe came with a ply Toe board, it would have left the factory with a steel one, so I took up the challenge and made one, and for my reward got Shaper of the Month on allmetalshaping.com which I have been an active member since 2010.

peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

That's certainly a serious bit of swaging. Very impressive!

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Cool

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Nice work Cool

RJ

Very nice Smile

Not that you need it, have you seen David Gardiners DVD? (He is also on the allmetalshaping forum) it both inspired and gave me confidence with this sort of fabrication and repairs Smile keep up the excellent work.

Dave
z5roadster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Hi Tom,

That's certainly a serious bit of swaging. Very impressive!

Peter

Thanks Peter made a template from 10mm ply, cut the swagged areas profile with a jig saw, then forced a high crown anvil into the slots with my english wheel. Have now found a horn button, thanks

Rick wrote:
Nice work Cool

RJ

Thanks Rick

ukdave2002 wrote:

Very nice Smile

Not that you need it, have you seen David Gardiners DVD? (He is also on the allmetalshaping forum) it both inspired and gave me confidence with this sort of fabrication and repairs Smile keep up the excellent work.

Dave

Hi Dave and thank you, I have met David on 2 occasions and would hope one day to aspire to his level, trouble is he has 30 years of practice behind him, a Master Craftsman, one of a few, and yes I do have his DVD. Not sure if he has finished No.II yet.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z5roadster wrote:
Have now found a horn button, thanks

Is it the the proper Allard one or what did you find that fitted?

Peter
z5roadster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Allard CC3? in California. You made it so much easier. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: