classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Clutch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Clutch Reply with quote

What is the best lubricant to apply to the spline of the gearbox input shaft that the clutch plate operates on?
Pre war Morris Minors often suffer badly from wear in this area and I have recently paid to have my worn shaft reclaimed. I would like to try and preserve the splines as long as possible (as it was quite expensive).
Thanks
Mike
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use copper slip grease as it will get on the friction plates and cause it to slip. Partco / Unipart used to throw out many a clutch warranty where there was evidence of copper grease....

Is the correct stuff graphite grease?

No doubt someone wiser than me will be along soon to remind me Embarassed
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly you're thinking of dry graphite powder, but I should have thought that more likely to be flung onto the friction material by centrifugal force than Copaslip. Personally I've always used Copaslip for the purpose and have had no problems. Common sense dictates that it should be only a fine a smear, just enough to serve the purpose—obviously if you ladle the stuff on you're asking for trouble.

Richard
Farmer John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: clutch spline lube Reply with quote

Hello Mike. The spigot bush in the back of the crankshaft needs to be greased sparingly. It should be new seeing that the input shaft has been repaired to new specs. The clutch plate should also be new, you do not want a plate with a loose hub hammering away on the shaft when the engine is idling in neutral.
Addressing these two items is the best you can do to prolong the life of the splines. I know it is attractive to have a classic idling slowly to demonstrate the fine motor but there is a point at which the shafts and gears in the clutch and transmission start to chatter. So keep the idle up and just talk up your mechanical ability.
The clutch hub is not equipped for lubrication, the result of contaminating facings outweighs any benefit.
Simply make sure that the hub splines and the shaft splines are perfectly clean shiny metal. That alone will put you ahead of the pack and you will then have done everything possible short of polishing the splines which would be a good idea, just do not tell anyone.

John
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all , for the advice.
I will assemble dry.
MN
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Farmer John, best left clean.

Here's the same question on Lotus Elan forum:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-gearbox-f37/clutch-plate-spline-lubrication-t18396.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: