classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bedford CF - as good as a Ford Transit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Bedford CF - as good as a Ford Transit? Reply with quote

If you ask people who hired or owned medium sized vans in the 1970's through to the end of the 1980's the majority would name the Ford Transit and it probably helps that the Transit is still in production today.
Not in Southampton any longer, sadly, but in Turkey.

[img]

It has been "the backbone of Great Britain" according to Ford but there was an alternative choice in the form of the Bedford CF.

[/img]

Introduced in the Autumn of 1969 I saw one of the first ones in November 1969. My late father was a chemist and he used to receive daily supplies of pharmaceutical medicines from a long established firm called Ayrton Saunders. It was a dark blue example, "H" registered, 1.8 litre petrol and the regular route driver spoke highly of it. Mind you, anything was better than the Austin J4 he drove before.

Commercial vehicles interest me as much as cars and although I too, have driven Ford Transits, whenever I hired a van I preferred a Bedford CF.
The last one I hired in 1982 was one with the 2300cc petrol engine and it was a real "Q" vehicle with impressive acceleration and would cruise happily at 80 mph +. It was heavy on petrol, though.

I believe that the Bedford CF which ceased production in 1987 was the last completely British designed and engineered General Motors vehicle.

Do any of you have any thoughts or memories of the Bedford CF?

I thought it was a better van than the Ford Transit at the time.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet

Last edited by Ellis on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Vauxhall used PA, PB, PC, FA, FB, FC, HA, HB, HC etc

so what happened at Bedford, why did they go directly from CA to CF?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Vauxhall used PA, PB, PC, FA, FB, FC, HA, HB, HC etc

so what happened at Bedford, why did they go directly from CA to CF?

Yes CA straight to CF!
Why? I will try to find out.

D4B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CF has become more classic looking, would like to own one Cool
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Bedford CF mini bus and it was better in every respect when compared with the competition. A lovely comfortable vehicle which never let us down on some long journeys. Today a good one (if you can find one) must be worthy of classic status in my opinion.

I may have rose tinted specs so if they really weren't that good please put me right.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove Mk & 2 transits, together with a mk1 CF, whilst employed on a summer job with a firm of builders in the mid 80's. The CF had a nicer driving position, and the 2300cc engine was quite lively compared to the 1600 transits, it gets my vote Smile .

Dave
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drive both as a young apprentice.
Transit was very solid but the larger engine of the cf pulled like a train.
Best of all was the cf pick up my boss bought, back end was light when unladen tho.
Nicest van I used to drive was the Leyland Sherpa, rotted well but was a great van.

Kev
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Bedford cf Reply with quote

I worked for a vauxhall/bedford sub-dealer in the early 70's and i would say the cf was equal to the transit with the v engine's, biggest problem with the cf was the engine oil pump position at the top of the engine most time's the big-end's would rattle before pressure built up the same as the car's, another problem was the gear shift linkage wear, we had one where the owner had modified it so the gear lever moved in an arc front to rear a bit weird to drive!!.
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a good look around the 'net and I cannot find why Bedford went from CA to CF in one leap in 1969. Even the Bedford Commercial Vehicles forum has no reference to it.

Thinking about the CF which was built in Luton, I remember in 1979/80 I used to make the overnight journey to be at the Enfield Industrial estate in North London by 7.00am and be back home before midday on a regular basis.

I would see literally dozens of Bedford CF chassis cabs being driven on trade plates on the M1 every time. Many just had a cab and windscreen, no roof, some no windscreen at all and a well wrapped driver wearing driving goggles, 1930's style.

Health an Safety was not such a concern those days.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
I have had a good look around the 'net and I cannot find why Bedford went from CA to CF in one leap in 1969.

I suspect the CA was a true "Bedford" design and the CF probably had more DNA from GM's US roots.

I had a CA, and love them, but on a practical level the CF won hands down, I can only imagine when the CA was being sold new against the Transit it would have been a tough job to compete, and GM had to get a product to the market quickly....?

Dave
Ellis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

I suspect the CA was a true "Bedford" design and the CF probably had more DNA from GM's US roots.

Dave

You may well be right.
Here is a photo or two of 1970's Chevrolet panel vans :

[img]

[img][/img]

emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Independent front suspension versus semi-elliptic springs? No contest: CF every time.
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: They were tough Reply with quote

Many years ago I worked for a company that ran quite a fleet of vehicles that did quite long runs. The owner simply purchased what was available in supplier`s stock when he need a vehicle. So we ran nearly all makes in all sizes.

We had Transits and CFs. Once we employed a new driver who was a bit of a flash boy. He was assigned a rather tatty looking dark green CF (2.3, sliding doors). He wanted a new Transit but was told that the CF would be replaced eventually. The driver hoped it would be with a Tranny.

3 days into his employment with us he quit. When I asked why he said that he had been thrashing the CF up the motorways for the last 3 days in 3rd in the hope that it would break and be replaced. It did not and was still running quite sweetly! And did so for a long time afterwards too.

So I consider they were tough.
poodge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a company in the early 70's,and they bought a new CF automatic van.I'm not sur what the engine size was(maybe 2ltr),but it went quite well.Unfortunately,the assigned driver(nicknamed Rip,S#*t and Bust) thrashed it unmercifully,and it had to have a new engine fitted after only 4 months service.
The firm's next van was a Transit,and although it could take a heavier,bigger load,I still preferred the CF to drive.The Transit bounced all over the road on long trips,especially when only partly laden.The CF was smooth and comfortable.
In the late 70's both were replaced with Toyota vans:(.
Billf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago when i was a decorator. The firm i worked for (Curruthers & Kent) i drove the CF We were painting the bridges on the new M6 Kendal to Carlisle. Another painting company (Reid Bros) Which ran Transits, were painting a new school in Kendal.

We often used to meet up on the way back to Carlisle and race each other. The CF always won. PS there would be 6/8/9 painters in the back of each van. Good fun if not a bit daft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: