classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 1935
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ralphg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Morris 8 1935 Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for drawings and pictures of a luggage carrier for my Morris 8, I have the drawing of the bumper bracket. Can anyone help. Ralph. Smile
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have a look at this thread and also the other threads linked to it.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=luggage+carrier&start=0

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rosco663

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Ralph,

Welcome to the forum Very Happy

I hope the following will help.

Be interested to see the results.

Cheers
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've no wish to throw a spanner into the works, it might be worth noting that (to the best of my knowledge) Eights exported to the far-flung colonies did not have the correct bumper brackets as shown in Roscoe's picture to accommodate the standard Morris carriers. Certainly cars exported to New Zealand did not, and since Australia mostly received bare chassis that were bodied locally, and were fitted with different bumpers, it's likely they didn't either. NZ Eights, on arrival, were fitted with a much simpler locally-made bracket and hinging carrier similar to the Series 1 type, including Series 2 cars.

However, if Ralph's car was originally sold in Britain and equipped with bumpers (they were an extra-cost option, together with trafficators), then it should be a relatively simply matter of fabricating a carrier to suit. The tricky part would be finding the spring-loaded pins that lock the Series 1 type to the brackets.

Roscoe's diagram is taken from an old Harry Edwards catalogue, so it's possible that Ian Harris, who bought up most of the stock when Harry died, may have the necessary parts in stock for either Series 1 or 2-type carriers.

ian@harris84.fsnet.co.uk

Richard
Ralphg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Luggage Rack Reply with quote

Thanks Rosco, I should be able to have the drawings translated to something that I can fabricate a rack from I do have a drawing for the bumper bracket but yours give a lot more detail so that' a step forward. Ralph.
Rosco663

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries at all Ralph Very Happy

I saw one of the fold out versions at a swap meet last year but couldn't get the price down low enough for me to purchase.

Please post some pickies of the finished article - I'm planning to make one myself.

Cheers
Ralphg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 luggage rack Reply with quote

Hi Rosco, I've found a chap close to where I live that has a rack on his car. Unfortunately he has changed the engine for a Nissan 1400 otherwise the car is original. I've enlarged the drawings and think I'll plumb for the solid type as the folding one looks too complicated. As a matter of interest, my '35 4 door sedan was manufactured in Aug '35 and was fitted with traficators. Suspension has been modified with telescopic shocks and has flashing indicators as well. Found a wiring diagram to operate both from the column lever. Ralph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: