classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Devon Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British heritage cars wrote:
bob2 wrote:
Is the exhaust manifold painted or just cleaned and if its painted what did you use?

The Exhaust manifold I de-rusted with my electrolys trick.. and sprayed it with special heat paint in a darker shade of grey Laughing

and the inlet manifold I cleaned, took of all the paint with a wire brush and then painted it in a lighter shade of grey that looks allot like allumium, so it looks just bare aluminium but keeps its collor better Smile

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

Let us know how you get on with the paint on the exhaust manifold, I did the one for the Herald a while back with some of the POR stuff from Frosts and might as well not have bothered. I soaked all the rust off it, dried it off in the oven then gave it a quick sandblasting to be sure, painted it, let it dry, recoated and let it dry again then cured it in the oven - just like it said on the tin. Within a week of starting to drive the car again it was starting to peel and now it looks awful. It's not the first time I've had bad results with heat resistant paints, if there is a good one out there I haven't found it yet!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
bob2 wrote:
Is the exhaust manifold painted or just cleaned and if its painted what did you use?

The Exhaust manifold I de-rusted with my electrolys trick.. and sprayed it with special heat paint in a darker shade of grey Laughing

and the inlet manifold I cleaned, took of all the paint with a wire brush and then painted it in a lighter shade of grey that looks allot like allumium, so it looks just bare aluminium but keeps its collor better Smile

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

Let us know how you get on with the paint on the exhaust manifold, I did the one for the Herald a while back with some of the POR stuff from Frosts and might as well not have bothered. I soaked all the rust off it, dried it off in the oven then gave it a quick sandblasting to be sure, painted it, let it dry, recoated and let it dry again then cured it in the oven - just like it said on the tin. Within a week of starting to drive the car again it was starting to peel and now it looks awful. It's not the first time I've had bad results with heat resistant paints, if there is a good one out there I haven't found it yet!

I used POR15 on the MGA cast iron manifold, it was blast cleaned, quick coat of phosphoric acid and then washed before the POR 15 was brushed on, 12 months later, with probably only 300 miles it still looks perfect, it was the "factory manifold" colour.

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:
bob2 wrote:

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

I used POR15 on the MGA cast iron manifold, it was blast cleaned, quick coat of phosphoric acid and then washed before the POR 15 was brushed on, 12 months later, with probably only 300 miles it still looks perfect, it was the "factory manifold" colour.

Dave

Did you oven cure it, Dave, or just put it on the engine and start up? Sounds like the same stuff and I still have the best part of the tin to try again if I ever have it off again...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I brush painted it, let it air dry, it was probably 2 months before I fired the engine up. I didn't plan to leave it this long before firing the car up, but it doesn't appear to have had a negative effect.

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used the aerosol heat resistant paint, generally plastikote and although it does fade with time I find its good enough. Granted I do not use my cars that often. Last time I did the LCB manifold on my green mini was 2006 and though not looking fresh, its still looking good enough!
The hunter's was done last year in silver and still looking as good as when I sprayed it!
I just sand them down with 40 to get most of the rust off and then continue sanding up to 220, clean with a thinner soaked rag and spray directly on the metal.
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know... long time no see...

I've been talking to some of you guys via facebook... but haven't been on here for far to long...

Anyway... Hi every one, and Hi to all the new folks on here!

I've not been sleeping... just allot of working on cars....
And yes somtimes also on my own cars...

So The steering from my old lady is almost completly rebuild now...
Just have to find a way to take of the body and start doing the chassis...

The steering box came out like this... Yes it's a steering box....

after some cleaning...

So let the rebuild begin...

New bushes...

Fill it with the right steering fluid... somehow the privious owner filled it with grease...

Job done

Next thing I baried out of the car where the track rods...

Does anyone know what this stamp means?

That's all for now Wink

Regards,
Jonathan
spacealbum

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Austin Devon Restoration Reply with quote

Nice to find an update here. Please keep us informed about the developments, your pictures are very encourageing for my work.
dirk
SpiggyTopes

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this again from the start ....

Yours is a GS2? Does it have floor gear change?

My first car was a GS3 .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: