classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

eBay item number:171775560658
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: eBay item number:171775560658 Reply with quote

Interesting old motor but what is its registration?
No connection with the vendor!

Paul
Penguin45

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE.

P45.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting motor, my Grandfathers first truck was a Model T. Is that not the remains of the reg number painted on the scuttle?
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not XI 391 as stated in the description. Would IX 391 be an Irish registration?

Peter
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IX is a Longford County Council number - Southern Ireland, so it would probably not be able to register it with that number in the UK (although I did have a Herald with a Dublin number registered in the UK!)
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you got my point! I suspected mit was Irish but did not have my reference document to hand!
If that is the case can it have a V5?

paul
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, this is a 'TT' and not a 'T'. It is the 'Ton Truck' version of the Ford Model T, and has the same power plant and transmission as the cars, but gains its carrying ability by having an overhead worm drive rear axle assembly. Although a few different ratios of worm drive were available, none gave the trucks anything like the speed of a standard car. Generally 18 to 22 mph. could be expected.

The rear wheels certainly look odd. They appear far too small, and that again would affect maximum speed. The TT was first sold in late 1917, and was equipped with wood-spoked artillery wheels all round, often with solid tyres on the rear, sometimes solids all round.

The front wheels have demountable rims. These were not an option until about 1923, so are a later addition if the 1921 figure is correct. Non-self starter T's and TT's were available up to about 1925, but as the starter was optional equipment from 1921, the casting of the transmission cover had a place for the starter, but with the holes blanked off.

It is a pity that there is no photo of the engine, as that would help with dating. The engine number would also help.

Recognising that the body would be a British-built one, the mudguards, bonnet, scuttle etc., would be ex factory. To me that part of the body work suggests a date of 1924/25.

I find the terminology of a 'Woodie' rather odd. The body is simply a tray-truck or lorry body, and certainly would never have been referred to as a 'Pick-up'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: