classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

wrong head gasket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
WOODY2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: wrong head gasket? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in France and still restoring my 1951 Simca 8.In the end decided to do a full rebuild on the engine (with help) Over here head gaskets are not too hard to find (unused old stock)so I bought one on the net for 40€.This was 2 full pieces of copper with an asbestos piece in the middle.It was a bit too rough looking though so the guy sent me another one which looked like new but was of a composite material with copper only around the cylinder holes on both sides.I used this one but when I put the coolant in it leaked like a sive!
Could this kind of gasket ever make a seal?The copper overall is 1mm and the composite 0.5mm.The head and block have been skimmed and torqed to the recommended amount.The head is aluminium.I did'nt use any sealant as the composite was coated in a sort of graphite?
I was well cheesed off and I thought about useing the all copper one I first got, but when I cleaned it up it became obvious that it had been used before.
I checked the site of a company that makes brand new ones (90€) but they look the same as the composite one.
Any advice would be welcome as this has become a real 'prise de tete' (it's doing my head in!) Crying or Very sad
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replacement sounds rather like the Klinger cylinder head gaskets. I have heard that these are very effective.

Peter

Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/cylinder-Gasket-ELRING-KLINGER-engine/dp/B00E0G0PDW

WOODY2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Peter but the gasket is much more simple than that (I will try and post a pic)The copper is only around the cylinder holes, the rest is composite.Should the copper crush down enough to make a seal?
WOODY2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOODY2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the all copper gasket that has already been used.Marks from the head visible around the water holes.
WOODY2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the other one that leaks.

peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see what you mean. I think you would ideally want the copper to be formed around the water passages as well as the cylinders. That said, if your cooling system is not pressurised then a good gasket compound such as Hylomar around the apertures should prevent leakage.

Peter
WOODY2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I dont understand is how this can make a seal if the copper is thicker than the composite.Surely the gasket should be a uniform thickness?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's puting the maximum compression around the bores as this is where stresses are greatest. Gasket sealant can deal with the low pressure (coolant) channels.

Peter
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if your car has studs or bolts, but if it's bolts are they bottoming out before they actually crush the gasket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: