classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Google LED car bulbs, there are two in one bulbs available that have the indicator segment in orange. You may need a new flasher unit though, since they sometimes can't cope with the low current consumption of an LED.
Boring Tucson SUV
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 8 years or so of non-use, fitted the top to the car.
I think the top is the original - old heavy type of vinyl, thick "windows". "lift the dot" buttons, etc.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Sunday I thought I'd tackle the non functioning Fuel gauge on my Ford Popular.

Before I purchased the car, it had spent around 25 years stored in a wood barn and so the sender was left in one position for all that time and had stuck in that position.
So I removed the sender, cleaned all the gunge off and lubricated and am pleased to report I now have a fully working gauge.

....it's only taken me 15 years to finally get round to looking at it !!
OuBallie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Seven engine out yesterday.
Made up a set of hooks to screw into the plug holes

[/img]

All safely on the trolley.

Geoff - Single handed to boot Smile
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
hornchurchmale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: work on car 2day Reply with quote

spent whole morning checking out my rover p6 as it was having trouble running and starting. fitted electric fuel pump other day but no change.. eventually found supply was restricted by a fuel valve under bonnet. this is a device that can allow a reserve amount of fuel to be used ( around 8-11 litres) after main tank is empty. operated by a cable..the cable was inactive ( never connected) and valve 'lever' had slowly dropped over time cutting off fuel supply.
so saved having to modify it with a heavy sledge hammer and a bit of anger lol.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I successfully fitted the sump to the Dodge engine. No big deal, you might think...

The worst job by far on a 4 cylinder Dodge Brothers engine is fitting the sump. This is because there is no dip stick; rather, an oil level indicator rod that is attached to a float. The problem is that while under the car and balancing the sump on your chest, this rod needs to be fed through a small hole in the block while at the same time you have to guide the sump so that the oil pump drive shaft locates in it's locating hole.

When everything is lined up you can start screwing in the bolts that hold the sump on. But it's not that simple. You need someone to watch from above for the rod to appear through it's hole and grasp hold of it while you do up the bolts because otherwise it will drop back down out of it's hole as soon as you let go of it.

WELL NOT ANY MORE!
If like me you are a Billy no mates or also like me your other half won't get anywhere near a car in bits; in other words, you find yourself having to do the job on your own, you can try various methods of getting round the problem of not having someone to hold onto the rod as it appears into the daylight. Some have tried taping thin wire to the end of the rod and pulling on it but it isn't always successful. Others have tried fitting a longer rod to the float and shortening it later on but this is very time consuming.

I have found that placing a magnet close to the hole on the outside of the engine works for me. The magnet attaches itself to the side of the block and when the rod is pushed up through it's hole, it too is attracted to the magnet and stays in place while you do up the sump bolts.

I expect it has been done many times before but it was a moment of satisfaction for me when it worked first time.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip, thanks Ray Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of assistance, Rick Very Happy
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the spoke I broke somewhere on the trip I took to Arisaig 10 days ago. Then took her for her MOT.

Her first MOT in my hands was in 1993 and the recorded miles were 43,687. Today they were 69,229 so 25,542 miles in 22 years.

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to resetting the headlamps. On dip they were virtually a foot in front of the car, but then I rarely drive it at night and forget - until the next time. Nacelles off, good to give them a polish inside too, and a quick turn or two of the screws.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having failed to stop the knock on No.1 cylinder by taking up the big end and main bearings, the sump had to come off again!

I cleared a blockage in the oil gallery but managed to loose the valve timing when taking off the camshaft gear! This was made more difficult because there are no timing marks but the problem was actually caused by the camshaft rotating after separating the wheel from the boss on which it was bolted. I wasn't expecting that!

I removed the head (difficult!) and took out the No.1 piston to check the little end. I thought I had found the problem when I discovered hammering type damage to the cylinder wall but it turned out to be an historic injury. The piston and gudgeon pin are fine having been replaced at some time with modern ones.

With the head off, I re timed the valves with the crankshaft. I know it's right because the marks that I made before disassembly lined up. That was lucky!

Today I refitted the piston and rod with the aid of my nice new piston ring compressor. Only £6. Bargain!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Minx on a run this morning, usually very reliable but s for some reason she had to be jump started twice. Shes back home in the dry now so next will be looking into what's the cause.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite today, but last week I swapped the oil pressure warning switch. I've had an intermittent issue with the pressure light coming on, the car also has a pressure gauge which is a capillary pipe into the dash, both come off the same location in the engine, and that showed a decent pressure so I was reasonably hopeful that it was just the switch. As it had been on the car since I bought it (1986) there was a reasonable chance.

As my car has a high-pressure pump, the tuning manual of the time suggested a high-pressure switch as well, for a bit of extra warning, so I spent some time sourcing a 20psi switch instead of the usual 3-5psi, and an adapter. When I came to take the old one off, it was a standard one, so I could have got one much quicker and much cheaper. Oh well, at least it has what I thought it should have had all along.

And the two trips to Llangollen and back this weekend suggest the problem is now fixed - no spurious pressure lights.
stevefizz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this count?

Took her to McDonald's

Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you didn't get any greasy food on the seats!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 55 of 59

Jump to: