classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Metal grades types for turning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Metal grades types for turning Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am beginning to get to grips with my lathe now and have successfully cut a few screw threads and made some other round things. However, I am clueless as to metals, particularly steels for certain jobs. As an example I would like to try to make some new tappets/cam followers as they are fairly simple in design and hard to get but have no idea what I should be making them from. If anyone can give me a crash course in such matters I would really appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Tim Green
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I think you could make them out of mild steel but you would need to case harden them on the cam following faces.

Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Yes, you are probably correct in that. That then leads me to ask the question: what is the best method for case hardening? Presumably a pre-prepared hardening compound.
It will be interesting to see if anyone else has an opinion too
Thanks,
Tim
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider silver steel for the tappets, its easier to harden than using a case hardening mixture.

Dave
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked with my retired Air Force engineer pal, who made oversized tappets for my 'new' engine in 2008. He used EN36, a special case hardening steel (high nickel content), and they were hardened by a commercial outfit. He's adamant that neither mild steel nor silver steel are suitable for case hardening.

If you want to read up on the subject, Google "case hardening EN36".

Richard
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Hi Tim,

I think you could make them out of mild steel but you would need to case harden them on the cam following faces.

Peter

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat2.htm
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful everyone. I will indeed read the text suggested and see where that takes me too. Clearly there is so much more to the subject than at first meets the eye as is usually the case. thanks all.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every company that I have worked for have used Wallwork for heat treatment of steel parts. I suggest that you talk to one of their technical folk. Check here for some basic information http://www.wallworkht.co.uk/content/harden_and_temper/?bk
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
I've just checked with my retired Air Force engineer pal, who made oversized tappets for my 'new' engine in 2008. He used EN36, a special case hardening steel (high nickel content), and they were hardened by a commercial outfit. He's adamant that neither mild steel nor silver steel are suitable for case hardening.

If you want to read up on the subject, Google "case hardening EN36".

Richard

I know where he is coming from, and its probably the correct exam answer Smile , I use silver steel to make odd sized taps & dies, (its called drill rod in the US because thats whats its used for) its used on a small scale because its easy to turn on a lathe, and less tricky than mild steel to harden. It wouldnt be a first choice material for tappets, but with classics doing a low millage its not so important.

My attempts at case hardening mild steel were......well pathetic, in a DIY enviroment ts just not possible to get/ control the correct temperatures Sad

Cheers

Dave
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

En24t is easy to harden,but it is very hard, en8 can also be hardened. Some of the old case hardening compounds contained cyanide and they are only available commercially. I don't know if there is a replacement for private use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: