classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Seen anything interesting????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 478, 479, 480  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about that, especially as it was a lovely green and looked in concours condition, but I was driving past rather than buying petrol when I saw it.

I never liked the look of those Hondas, but they have a strong following. I drove an S2000 once and didn't like that much either, but it was very fast between 6-9000 rpm, which is just what you need for the road.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Nothing much old spotted of late. I did spy a pre-production Bentley Bentayga (4x4) near Pyms Lane the other day, not sure I'll be signing on the dotted line for one mind.

RJ

Yep seen it too, I think we are on the Bentley test drive route as loads go past on trade plates, one broke down just up the road not so long ago Shocked within minuets something resembling the Men In Black Containment squad arrived, and it was in the back of a wagon !

Rick like you I won't be ordering one, I don't get this cross over stuff....

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
ukdave2002 wrote:
one broke down just up the road not so long ago Shocked within minuets something resembling the Men In Black Containment squad arrived, and it was in the back of a wagon !
Dave

It is probably an urban myth, but I did hear, years ago about a Bentley, let's just say a Continental as an example of when I heard it, that was being driven to somewhere like Timbuctoo from Cassablanca, it broke a halfshaft and after getting a lift to a town with a phone the owner contacted Bentley who arranged for it to be collected, brought back to the factory, repaired and returned to the owner.
About a year later he contacted them as he hadn't received a bill and they denied all knowledge of the incident because "Bentley's don't break halfshafts" as I say probably an urban myth but a great story.
Laughing

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
hi
ukdave2002 wrote:
one broke down just up the road not so long ago Shocked within minuets something resembling the Men In Black Containment squad arrived, and it was in the back of a wagon !
Dave

It is probably an urban myth, but I did hear, years ago about a Bentley, let's just say a Continental as an example of when I heard it, that was being driven to somewhere like Timbuctoo from Cassablanca, it broke a halfshaft and after getting a lift to a town with a phone the owner contacted Bentley who arranged for it to be collected, brought back to the factory, repaired and returned to the owner.
About a year later he contacted them as he hadn't received a bill and they denied all knowledge of the incident because "Bentley's don't break halfshafts" as I say probably an urban myth but a great story.
Laughing

Could you be thinking about the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon? Businessman Ray Richards entered a new Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. It was driven by British rally champion Bill Bengry who modified it with exhaust pipes exiting the bonnet and up the the screen pillars and over the roof!

Rolls Royce, at first, would have nothing to do with the entry but when it broke a half shaft (maybe even the rear suspension) and Bill had to borrow parts from another car, they were persuaded to assist the car to finish the race.

Embarrassed ? Embarassed [/u]
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Penman wrote:
hi
ukdave2002 wrote:
Dave

Laughing

Could you be thinking about the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon? Businessman Ray Richards entered a new Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. It was driven by British rally champion Bill Bengry who modified it with exhaust pipes exiting the bonnet and up the the screen pillars and over the roof!

Rolls Royce, at first, would have nothing to do with the entry but when it broke a half shaft (maybe even the rear suspension) and Bill had to borrow parts from another car, they were persuaded to assist the car to finish the race.

Embarrassed ? Embarassed [/u]
for the record my post is about new pre production stuff out of the Bentley factory.. That Unfortunatly these days is now controlled from Wolfsburg Sad

Dave
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref the NSX pic.

A triumph of engineering over what should be an absurd engine layout perhaps?.......

I like Porsche engineering.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

It is probably an urban myth...

It's many years ago now I was told by an AA patrolman that if ever they received a call from a broken-down RR or Bentley, Rolls Royce was notified, and a special covered trailer was despatched to ensure that the recovered car was not seen by Joe Public. That was in the days before Rolls Royce and Bentley were sold to the Germans - I have no idea whether the same arrangement still applies.
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
Penman wrote:

It is probably an urban myth...

It's many years ago now I was told by an AA patrolman that if ever they received a call from a broken-down RR or Bentley, Rolls Royce was notified, and a special covered trailer was despatched to ensure that the recovered car was not seen by Joe Public. That was in the days before Rolls Royce and Bentley were sold to the Germans - I have no idea whether the same arrangement still applies.

Mate's Rolls breaks down regularly and the RAC just come and take it away like any other car. Interesting though that it was parked outside my flat this week whilst he helped me change a wing on a Merc (there is a Rolls dealer just over the road and it had been in for yet another repair) Neighbours who don't usually speak are now quizzing me about that car Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few interesting vehicles were spotted in Wales last week, best find was a super-rare Austin 152 (steel) pickup, residing in the back of a garage and still with its long-term owner. Some years back I had a Morris J2 version, and known survivors in the UK at that time numbered only 2 or 3.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I went to Crystal Palace in 1968 to see the cars off on the London Sydney. Eric Jackson (Ford Dealer, Barnsley) was an entry.

Bill Bengry, also a Ford Dealer, was entered in a GT Cortina, which had the exhaust going over the roof. He drove the Rolls Royce in the 1970 Daily Mirror, World Cup Rally and used the over the roof exhaust idea. Something copied by several rally cars even today.

The R.R did break down in Portugal and was repaired with parts from another Rolls Royce. From my understanding this was more to do with making a prompt repair because the R.R dealer did not carry such parts.

There was another R.R entered by the Martin family in 1970. It was not very well prepared and grounded as it left the start ramp at Wembley.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, Peter. Right car, right driver, wrong rally! Embarassed
Billf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this Caddy a few days ago. At a hotel here in the TRNC. Did not want to remove the sheet in case i got told off. I think it used for weddings.

Penman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
In Accrington today, a Jensen Healey in an orangey red and a Humber Snipe? mk II in two tone green. (I'm guessing it was a Snipe because my view in my door mirror showed it had the long beaked bird symbol on the back and a longish name as well, but maybe Hawks had that as well.)

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An A30 towing a fold down caravan heading for Wooten Bassett today.
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted this little beauty at a local repair shop.
I've never seen it before in our little valley
cheers
Hank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 478, 479, 480  Next
Page 248 of 480

Jump to: