classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brakes stuck - Citroen CX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Polypedates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Brakes stuck - Citroen CX Reply with quote

After a few months work I really thought I'd get my 1979 Series 1 CX Athena on the road this weekend. I finished off all the remaining jobs and just had to bleed the front brakes to be done. Despite following the manual to the letter the brakes are now locked solid and will not move. Releasing the bleed valves releases more hydraulic fluid so it is like full braking force is still being applied by the system even though the pedal is released.

Any one have any ideas on what the problem might be as I am stumped?
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did you replace the front flexible pipes?
I have heard of instances where the lining comes adrift and does allow fluid to flow backwards to the MC.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume these are discs?

In which case you need to lever the wheel cylinders in. Actually it has just struck me that in my BX there was some form of auto adjustment for pad wear because the handbrake also operated on the front wheels. I think your best bet would be to get hold of a workshop manual (even a Haynes one) and take a look at the auto adjust mechanism.

Peter
Polypedates

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I did not renew the brake hoses as they looked OK so will investigate those.

Yes it is disc brakes with a mechanical handbrake on the front wheels operating via a separate set of pads. I assume there is something in the hydraulic system that is meant to govern pressure to the brake circuit and its release but I don't know what.

A perusal of the Haynes manual at the scene did not yield any enlightenment. I'll read the hydraulic and braking chapters in full and see if I can piece together the likely culprit although I'd prefer a diagnosis before taking the hydraulics apart!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: