classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

King's Cup races
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: King's Cup races Reply with quote

Over on the General forum one of our number, Penman I think, mentioned the Players No 6 aviation competition. Did he say he won!!?

My recollection of this was from late 60's. I think there were regional prizes of flight training to PPL then a national competition for the winners to compete for a Piper Cherokee.

I was just 9by months) too young to enter the competition but because I spent every spare moment as a 'gofor' in the local flying club I managed to attach myself to the club's efforts for their entrant and was invited to attend the 'winner of winners' day.

That's where my mind goes a bit wooly! I recall that the event was arranged to coincide with the Kings Cup air race that year and I remember that it was held at Kiddlington because CSE (based there) were Piper agents.

Flying in and spending the day air-side was an amazing experience and I recall that Charles Maesfield's P51 Mustang was competing against tiny aeroplanes like Rollaston Turbulents and such. Handicapping was so effective that both of these types were in sight at the finish line! Another memory was chatting to Douglas Bader who was there to congratulate the No 6 winners.

However, 'tinternet records that the Maesfield Mustang won the Cup at Tollerton and I wouldn't have said that I have been there ever in my life.

Best not to compromise a good memory!
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
In '66, my year, it was known as the Wills flying comp.
I was the Thruxton "heat" winner and the final was at Kiddlington, and I believe an airshow or race was planned for the same weekend but the flying, as opposed to the paper tests, had to be delayed for a week as the weather closed in and even the seagulls were walking.

I am not sure if I mentioned this on the other thread>

My main instructor at Thruxton was GC Harry "Bruin" Purvis DFC AFC & Bar.
He was a test pilot from around 1932 on.
Amongst other things he tested was the degaussing Wellington DWI the one with a great big elctro-magnetic ring mounted underneath it and intended to detonate magnetic mines by flying over them.

He never spoke of his service times and I only found out when I read his obituary later.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: