classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Landrover Series III 88''
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
British heritage cars wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:
How did you do that badge (last photo)? I've done old numberplates using Vaseline and a rattle can, but I'm guessing Vaseline wouldn't really do the job on those small letters.

Hi, I've painted it with a very very small brush.. took me ages but I think worth dooing it!
After painting I've sprayed a clear coat to protect the paint...

Regards,
Jonathan

That's a good brush job. I was thinking you must have come up with something devilishly clever and easy, wishful thinking I guess!

Haha, Sorry to dissepoint you.. Very Happy
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Folks,

Slowly but Surely it's getting together again..
and it strats looking more like a car again! Very Happy

My souvenire from England

Hope you'll like it Wink
welshrover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job. ive had quite a few series 3's .better than the defender by a long way. theyve got real springs on them and no crappy electronics to empty your wallet.
the first job for you is to put the right carb on it, them webers are terrible, freeze in winter and strangle the motor.it could be worse it could be one of them webcon carbs, they make so called weber carbs as the originals arent available now. they usually come with swarf in the drillings as standard and crappy plastic floats . the difference in pulling power with the right carb is quite a difference the engine is a lot smoother, or an su, i fitted one to my last series 3 it should have come out of the factory with an su on it as you can tune it different needles etc .ive had 8 series landrovers and have got loads of parts for them lying around parabolic springs etc .if you need anything let me know
craig Very Happy
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
nice job. ive had quite a few series 3's .better than the defender by a long way. theyve got real springs on them and no crappy electronics to empty your wallet.
the first job for you is to put the right carb on it, them webers are terrible, freeze in winter and strangle the motor.it could be worse it could be one of them webcon carbs, they make so called weber carbs as the originals arent available now. they usually come with swarf in the drillings as standard and crappy plastic floats . the difference in pulling power with the right carb is quite a difference the engine is a lot smoother, or an su, i fitted one to my last series 3 it should have come out of the factory with an su on it as you can tune it different needles etc .ive had 8 series landrovers and have got loads of parts for them lying around parabolic springs etc .if you need anything let me know
craig Very Happy

Thanks Mate!
Thanks for the information Very Happy I always tought the weber was the best carb for fuel consumpsion.. What carb would you advice for the best fuel consumption? Laughing
Mmm Parabolic springs sounds nice! But I think the problem is that you are in Wales.. Thats quit far from me Laughing But who knows.. It would make a good holiday to drive up to wales with my series Razz

Regards,
Jonathan
welshrover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original zenith carb is better, the webers are to under fuelled and the venturi is smaller ,it means they lose power and freeze in winter due to the air moving faster down the carb throat. to be honest the fuel consumption on those carbs isnt much better than the zenith .weber carbs were out when the series 3 came out. if it was right they would have fitted it from the factory,to be honest they should have fitted the su carb on it like some of the series 1's .i fitted an su to one of mine a few years ago off a triumph dolomite ,it idled better and the crawling speed was better .well all round it was better.have you tried. ollr.co.uk they are a forum who just drive and use series landrovers.
Very Happy
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
the original zenith carb is better, the webers are to under fuelled and the venturi is smaller ,it means they lose power and freeze in winter due to the air moving faster down the carb throat. to be honest the fuel consumption on those carbs isnt much better than the zenith .weber carbs were out when the series 3 came out. if it was right they would have fitted it from the factory,to be honest they should have fitted the su carb on it like some of the series 1's .i fitted an su to one of mine a few years ago off a triumph dolomite ,it idled better and the crawling speed was better .well all round it was better.have you tried. ollr.co.uk they are a forum who just drive and use series landrovers.
Very Happy

And are the SU carbs easy to fit? DId you have to change somethings?

I'll check out the forum Wink
welshrover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes had to make a manifold adapter to fit the su
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my landy came out under the 'sun' for the first time in a long time!

For those who forgot how she looked like..

Just some small things todo! befor I can put her on the road! Cool
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog light is conected now, sills are fitted, tailgate is in place, ...
...almost ready for it's first MOT sinds looooOOng

Regards!
Landy Des

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice - I rebuilt my 1972 S3 15 years back now. It making me fancy doing another one.

Good luck with the MOT..
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy Des wrote:
Very nice - I rebuilt my 1972 S3 15 years back now. It making me fancy doing another one.

Good luck with the MOT..

Thanks!
Hhaa! Go and do another one! Very Happy The landy's are so much fun to do!
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update! Very Happy

Today I've adjusted the headlights...
...In style! Cool

And I did some greenlaning

Kind Regards,
Jonathan
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good now Cool looks better than the plastic aston next to it Laughing .a db5 that's a proper aston martin .
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Fantastic work ~ makes me want one ~ well done Cool Cool

I didn't know it then, but now I do have one Shocked

5 years since your last post BHC, Do you still own the Series 111 ?

Cheers Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: