classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Severely corroded battery terminal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Severely corroded battery terminal Reply with quote

Cranking speed on the MGA has slowed down in recent months; it has a pair of 6v batteries that sit under the car just forward of the rear axle, so not visible without removing a cover. I thought I may have to clean the terminals up, but wasn't expecting a terminal that was new 30 months ago to be quite so corroded.

After cleaning it up, it's clear than one side of the terminal has lost about 50% of its metal Shocked both the steel bolt and brass terminal were affected.

Only affected one side , other was perfect.

It's the positive terminal on the link cable between the 2 batteries, the nearest cell was a tad low on electrolyte, so it looks as if the battery has been overcharged, odd as I fitted an alternator to replace the Dynamo, one of the reasons for this was to keep battery maintenance to a minimum, looks as if I'll have to check the output!

The other 3 terminals are perfectly clean.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, with the jolly green giant, it didn't take long for the 6v battery (that looks after everything bar the starter motor) to cook itself and split open. I'd thought it was just a one-off, especially as the charge into the battery didn't read high on a meter. So I replaced it. And the same happened again.

I can only think that the battery was overheating. It sits under the front floor, under the passenger's feet beneath a panel. The (hefty) exhaust runs quite close to the battery, below it.

I've now wrapped the exhaust, that has reduced its temperature significantly in the area of the battery, especially as it's not really in the air flow, so I'm hoping that it's now fixed. I also tend to run the engine with the top cover removed, unless someone's sat with me.

Sorry for rambling, as it's a different problem to the one you've had Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I had a similar problem on the Morris, but it was caused by a rebuilt battery being inadequately sealed around the terminal post; consequently acidic vapour from charging was corroding the terminal.

It was the second time the battery had been rebuilt, because original-style rubber-cased 6v batteries are not sold in this country. Unfortunately the battery man couldn't obtain new pitch to seal the top, so had to reuse the old pitch, which as mentioned was less than ideal.

Based on this experience my guess is that you might have a similar problem with gas escaping around the terminal post. The fact that only the one terminal is affected seems to point that way.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: