classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dinky toy racing cars
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1950S RACING LIVERIES Reply with quote

SLEEPY JOHN wrote:

...Does anyone have information about other team's or equipe's liveries for the Ferrari, Maserati 4CLT, the Alfa Tipo 158, and the Cooper-Bristols along with non-factory Vanwalls and BRMs?...

I don't think Ferrari ever sold their cars to private teams, so you are pretty much stuck with red, although I think Gonzales drove a blue one with yellow bonnet on one occasion. Maserati 4CLTs were common privateer fodder, so you could have white with red detailing for a Swiss entrant (I forget whom), Bira's blue and yellow car, at least two British entries in green... Again,I don't think Alfa Romeos were ever sold on, so you are limited to different coloured nose bands (white, yellow, green) on red cars. Cooper Bristols: the sky's the limit! Hawthorn's first drive in a silver car (actually bare alloy), dark blue (Alan Brown), dark green with yellow nose band, light metallic green, dark maroon, yellow... the Talbot Lago was also a good privateer entry: Ecurie Belge's car in bright yellow, Duncan Hamilton's in dark green, dark blue, light blue...

Vanwall's were only factory cars in apple green, BRM's were usually factory cars, although I seem to recall one in dark blue. If you have spare Crescent Maseratis, I think they were the 250F, in which case again good privateer fodder: Moss' car in light metallic green, Swiss team in white with wide red stripe, Masten Gregory's white with multiple blue stripes... I don't recall HWMs in anything other than green, but the Conaught was certainly seen in dark blue as well as the yellow you mention.

You're going to have fun researching that lot!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the (Ferrari-based) Thinwall Specials be recreated?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dinky Ferrari is too early for that - from memory I think it was a 1952 F500; I think the Crescent model may be the right version, though.

edit: No it's not, it looks like the same model as the Dinky version.
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vague memories of a Dinky Maserati 250 that my brother had. I remember it was blue and yellow. Could that be right?
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Dinky Maserati was modelled on the earlier 4CLT.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Capt George Eyston's Thunderbolt and several of the Dinkey Formula One cars, I remember the Talbot Lago was my favourite probably because the name sounded so special. They were handed down to my by a cousin who was about 10 years older than me so would have had these new in the 50s.
SLEEPY JOHN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for that great input. A little research has produced some good sites and references. This for example lists the cars as raced by various private teams as far back as I need to go.

http://f1minardi.free.fr/f1team/privateteam.php

As you say, the Cooper-Bristols offer some scope as I have at least a half-dozen of them, and there were a number of privately entered Ferraris. I found some good reference pics for Ecurie Espadon, a Swiss outfit that raced Ferrari 500s in Swiss colours (red and white)

http://www.laberezina.com/ecuries/autres_ecuries/E/ecurie_espadon.htm

I also googled "Ferrari privateers 1952" and that brought up Wikipedia lists of the races for that year with all the competitors and drivers.

I have a Corgi Vanwall that is in red with a silver nose from the factory. I must try and find whether there were any that actually raced in those colours.

As I have only single examples of Crescent Connaught, Maserati 2.5, and Gordini cars, they'll retain their original colours, which I believe are appropriate in this respect. Similarly with the Dinky Talbot-Lago, incidentally also my favourite from schooldays, it'll go back to the French racing blue. I've only one HWM but there were a few non-factory racers so I'll see whether there's an interesting livery that's possible.

This is going to be a fun project.
SLEEPY JOHN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I like the idea of recreating a Thinwall Special but as it was based on a 375 not a 500 it might be a bit tricky to achieve something accurate. It's almost a cross between a Dinky Ferrari and a Cooper-Bristol but the louvreing is different for a start.

I'll keep looking for period diecasts though.
SLEEPY JOHN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipster, I think you're remembering the Dinky Ferrari that was produced in Blue with a yellow nose.

http://3b698368622880ebc8ef-831e574318e11c15fa23e97fa5657b97.r83.cf3.rackcdn.com/278.JPG
SLEEPY JOHN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come across this useful site - a great source of reference.

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/

This link is just for cars but the site has blueprints for many different categories of objects.
SLEEPY JOHN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to liveries, here's a page showing a Ferrari 500 in Belgian colours. The photos of the original car are black and white but the magnificent colour shots are of a model. Amazing!

http://www.exoto.com/s/1/ProductDetails.aspx?Language=en&ProductId=2514
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLEEPY JOHN wrote:
Going back to liveries, here's a page showing a Ferrari 500 in Belgian colours. The photos of the original car are black and white but the magnificent colour shots are of a model. Amazing!

http://www.exoto.com/s/1/ProductDetails.aspx?Language=en&ProductId=2514
The snag with that model is that the wheels look completely out of proportion to the car. Rims too small tyres too big.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
SLEEPY JOHN wrote:
Rick, I like the idea of recreating a Thinwall Special but as it was based on a 375 not a 500 it might be a bit tricky to achieve something accurate. It's almost a cross between a Dinky Ferrari and a Cooper-Bristol but the louvreing is different for a start.

I'll keep looking for period diecasts though.

I think expecting to make really accurate display modelsbfrom Dinkys etc is a bit too much.
That Bristol 450 is a cross between a first year rear end and a second year front (approximately) and it never carried the #number that Dinky gave it.

All the toy Cooper/Bristols have full length "elephant trunks" though I have seen at least 3 different lengths in real life including in period photos.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLEEPY JOHN wrote:
Dipster, I think you're remembering the Dinky Ferrari that was produced in Blue with a yellow nose.

http://3b698368622880ebc8ef-831e574318e11c15fa23e97fa5657b97.r83.cf3.rackcdn.com/278.JPG

Yes! That is it. Thanks. I must have been about 3 or 4. I wonder where that toy went?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: