classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Steam Roller Living Van - Bomford & Evershed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
8_10 Brass Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Steam Roller Living Van - Bomford & Evershed Reply with quote

I have posted elsewhere that I run a steam tractor, towing a living van with it.

At the 2014 Mid Shropshire Vintage event in Shrewsbury I had my newly restored living van for the first time.

A local friend came up to me with some pictures of a similar van in a wood nearby. From the pictures (and the makers plate) you could tell it was a van by Bomford & Evershed of Salford Priors, near Evesham.

He said the owner was looking to get rid asap, and I was the man to do it.

So I went to look at it. It was pretty ripe!

but the jewel in the crown was that although its original stove had been removed, it was in store in the shed.

Needless to say I bought it.

Now, it was in a wood, down a track that had overgrown since it was placed there, it had 4 flat tyres, and was that rotten I worried if I could move it without collapse.

First of all, £40 for a set of Randy Lover wheels off e-bay- had to go to Chesterfield to get them!.

After a night with a jack all the hubs turned perfectly and it was mobile.

another night with a battery drill, some studding and some reclaimed 4 x 2 I was more confident it wouldn't collapse on the way home.

As I work in Shrewsbury I took the opportunity to drive my 1954 Fordson Major aka 'Hilda' to work from its base near Woore, 35 miles or so flat out at terminal velocity. Home on the bus.

The following day I met father at work, I drove the fordson, he his car full of the gear we thought necessary for the recovery. The most important being a chain saw.

We had to drive out of this track, cutting branches as we went

Free, and with a ratchet strap round to keep the door shut I was ready for the run back to Woore (via Market Drayton)

Ive passed it on to my mate John from Knutsford way. He has done a fair bit and it is now in use behind his Tasker

Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I wonder if they made this as well.
It is a shepherds hut which seems to appear regularly at the Wanborough (Wilts) Show.
Unfortunately it only appears in the background of my photos.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So jealous, we only manage to get to Strumpshaw to see these lovely vehicles and vans but would love one Very Happy
8_10 Brass Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
So jealous, we only manage to get to Strumpshaw to see these lovely vehicles and vans but would love one Very Happy

Almost every contractor built living vans like this, mine was probably built by a Dredging Contractor in Hereford. However Bomford & Evershed made them to sell.

The wiltshire van has a distinct home made look to it, not only that but it looks more like a shepperds hut, rather than a living van. The give away in that it may be new is that the wheels dont match, why would you have more spokes in the smaller front wheels?

Not a big difference, but a living van is pretty well built, to withstand miles and miles of road use. Sheppherds hut seem rougher built, and lighter too, often the wheels are outboard of the body, though not the case there.

They in one form or another are very popular additions to a garden. The bonus is that the value had gone up!.

Here is a sheppherds hut I saved, I was going to convert to a living van, but I passed it on before buying the one I restored.

ChrisS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brasso, Your roller van looks very similar to an Eddison van that I helped a friend restore in the 80s for use with his engine, It was unsprung as is yours but still had the iron wheels so was a very rough ride, specially over the cats eyes, but with a roller they are bad news anyway and best avoided.
Lucky to have such a nice range still with it, At least there's no brass to clean.
8_10 Brass Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisS wrote:
Hi Brasso, Your roller van looks very similar to an Eddison van that I helped a friend restore in the 80s for use with his engine, It was unsprung as is yours but still had the iron wheels so was a very rough ride, specially over the cats eyes, but with a roller they are bad news anyway and best avoided.
Lucky to have such a nice range still with it, At least there's no brass to clean.

Neither of those are mine any more, this is mine

Sprung and on solid rubber tyres (Cheiftain Tank roadwheels), it rides like a dream at 15mph. So well you can fall asleep in it.

They are ace, far better than a modern caravan, mines fairly simple, but I went for a gas stove (with oven) and a lav.

It now lives in my garden and is guest accomodation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: